+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All same colour - im on Levlen ED which i believe is a low dose pill. I was thinking about buying some OPK's and testing around ovulation time each month to see if i am actually ovulating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Levlen is a combined contraceptive pill containing oestrogen & progesterone to suppress ovulation. When you take the sugar pills you have a "withdrawal bleed" & the drop in hormones causes the PMS feeling. The only way you would ovulate on Levlen is if you don't take it according to instructions or take other meds that can interfere with absorption. Some people (rare) metabolise the hormones too quick & require a higher oestrogen dose, but you would have breakthrough bleeding if that were the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most people have ovulation return within a couple of months of stopping the pill & therefore, can conceive pretty much straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @rosey82 very strange... Ill see what the OPK's say

Thanks
    Reviews
    AFM im getting PMS so grumpy, sore boobs etc while still on the active pills roughly 1-2 weeks before the withdrawal bleed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably best to have a chat to your GP then, sometimes it takes a bit of trial & error to find the right contraception option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pill gives you a high level dose of progesterone which suppresses ovulation. A normal non-pill cycle will go through a stage of high oestrogen (to ovulate) followed by high progesterone (to keep a pregnancy and suppress further ovulation, this is also the time when PMS hits). The pill cycle gives you high progesterone the entire way through which will suppress ovulation (which is what it is designed to do). You are getting PMS type symptoms because of the high progesterone throughout the cycle.

If you take the pill correctly it is highly unlikely you are ovulating. Different pills have different levels of hormones, so if the PMS symptoms are problematic you can always try a new one. I have always been particularly sensitive to the effects of the pill.

HTH!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 04-05-2014 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That makes sense!

Out of curiosity, if i was to do opk's and bbt testing for a few cycles to see if i am actually ovulating, would this be accurate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    BBT won't be as progesterone makes your temp increase, so you probably won't see any/much of an increase or your BBT will be all over the place. OPK's will work as they look for the surge in the hormone which triggers the release of the egg. With the pill this hormone (luteinzing hormone or LH) is overrided, so if it is working correctly you should get negative OPK's (however remember you are relying on the test to be accurate in the first place).

Repro is my favourite subject can you tell loved learning all about this at uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Pearlygirl it is so interesting isn't it! Ill see how i go for the next few cycles