+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bit of perspective here:
    • Starting salary: $40,000 P/A
    • Senior salary: $79,500 P/A
    • Average salary: $56,500 P/A

Average weekly hours worked for a full time Primary School Teachers is 41.1 hours
    You could not pay me enough to be responsible for the education of 25+ children and worst of all, be diplomatic to all range of parents.

ETA: I assume that after a person has qualified they then have to do at least a year, if not 2 in rural areas and/or as a supply teacher before they can think about actually finding a perm job. So that's 5-6 years of study and qualifying before you actually get a job with a starting salary of $40k.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 01-04-2014 at 16:16.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),IvyRain  (01-04-2014),Purple Lily  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But this is exactly what I am talking about. I don't think anyone is saying that teachers get paid poorly, more they are doing such important work they should be paid more. Their work is far more important than a miner. I'm not trying to be insulting - I am neither a miner or teacher, but surely teachers are so incredibly important - they are our kids future! And, they shouldn't be copping flack for trying to help our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    The teachers I'm referring to are good friends of ours and agree that they aren't paid poorly and they don't work so many holidays. So no they wouldn't be shocked to read only what they have told me. Perhaps they get better conditions in the country living remote.

Thats exactly what I was saying, teachers may work some holidays but in the end they would still get 4-5 weeks off per year which is equivalent to every other working person. Do you think they deserve more time off, it doesn't sound like you think that is satisfactory.

Back to mining.. While there are jobs such as truck drivers that you don't need qualifications for apart from a licence the hours are still long etc. Other jobs such as supervisors, drillers etc you do need to be qualified and ongoing courses etc to maintain your position. These such positions are not easy to get into without qualifications. There is also the safety aspect which is very strict. In my dh's case he required lots of qualifications to obtain his position, he didn't just walk into it, he was responsible for over 30 people under him with much stress that came with it. He earned good money but he damn well deserved too. You don't get paid such good money in the mining industry to do nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is scary, I am unqualified completely and earn the same as the average teacher - not cool

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Bit of perspective here:

You could not pay me enough to be responsible for the education of 25+ children and worst of all, be diplomatic to all range of parents.

ETA: I assume that after a person has qualified they then have to do at least a year, if not 2 in rural areas and/or as a supply teacher before they can think about actually finding a perm job. So that's 5-6 years of study and qualifying before you actually get a job with a starting salary of $40k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

This isn't ragging on miners. I'm using this example to highlight how crappy teacher pay is in comparision to mining, which *generally* is less qualified. Sure some are boiler makers, engineers... but ALL teachers have degrees.

You said it so much better than me - this isn't even about miners, it is about teachers not getting paid what they are worth, even though they have to study their **** off to get there in the first place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in a mining town and believe me it's a hard slog too, damn right there's some not so bright people earning good money but there's also highly qualified people working fifo with families who have to cope without mum or dad around a lot of the time with some rosters being 3 on 1 off. So maybe just give them a break too?

I can understand the frustration from lack of communication from
    The school, but it's hardly a reflection On the efforts the teachers put into their work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MeeG For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This isn't an attack on the mining community. It's a comparison of how different trades, with similar pressures but often differing qualifications have vastly different pays. It was an example to highlight how crap the pay is, when you compare it to the mining trade who are getting exponentially more, often for less quals. Again, this is not about criticising miners. It's about making a comparison.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a lot of teachers so am under no illusions that they might be in the profession for the easy ride. I can hardly type that without literally LOLing!

For all the teachers reading along... don't worry, there are a lot of us parents out there that DO appreciate you. If it were up to me I would lower CEO salaries and give you guys a biiiiig payrise instead

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (01-04-2014),Chippa  (01-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),harvs  (01-04-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (01-04-2014),TimeForWine  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No one is having a go at miners. Lets drop the miners comparison and just look at the facts. $56,000 for the average teacher. That is a complete joke.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),Smyles  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It annoys me when people assume all strikes are about pay. I don't know about other states, but since the libs were voted in here in nsw, there's been much more important issues to fight for and strike over than pay, even though they froze any increases at 2.5% and were even trying to include the previous federal government's super increase into that cap. Currently, our state government has slashed $1.8 billion from education from public and private schools. Meanwhile, a week after doing this, a $1 billion error in the budget was discovered, yet they didn't put any back into education. They've also cut funding for special needs children.

Personally, I think I'm paid pretty well ATM as a teacher working 3 days a week. I'm on 55k and if I was full time, it would be over 90k. But it takes years to get to the top scale. Most teachers leave in the first 5 years if the job because it is so demanding. It does get easier and as you get more experience, teaching becomes less time consuming. However, it still takes up a lot of your time. I bring the laptop home from work to plan and create lessons. I also spend about an hour on a Sunday afternoon going over what I'm teaching that week.

My husband has no formal qualifications and makes way more than me but his work is physical and the hours are long.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 01-04-2014 at 18:13.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No one is having a go at miners. Lets drop the miners comparison and just look at the facts. $56,000 for the average teacher. That is a complete joke.

You're forgetting 2 crucial factors:
    - Teaching is traditionally a woman's job whilst mining is traditionally a blokes job.
    - Teaching does not produce tangible, sell-able products; mining does.

Tsk tsk Beebs, think about it luv!!

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014),delirium  (01-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),Lillynix  (01-04-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (01-04-2014),SeymourTheBear  (01-04-2014)