+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    90k for 26 weeks work? I think that is a lot??

I do think it must depend on the mine as well - we are in the "heavy" production stage- new mine, lots to get through, another new two new ones discovered in the area, I am sure it will be a different story in 10 years. I was only using it as an example because a PP tried to compared teachers and miners saying teachers shouldn't complain and implying miners had it tougher.

HOF - you are right, teachers choose to be teachers - and I am glad they do, I for one would never be a teacher- not in a million years. They cop SO much flack, they always have to justify everything they do, they want to help and yet have to fight for funding to do it. No thank you, I want a cushy easy job that is highly paid and low in stress. Even more of a reason I appreciate teachers - I know I couldn't hack that job.

Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    Certainly does depend on location - my DH is fifo and a first level supervisor (so that's bottom of the supervisor chain but a step up from the general staff) and he gets $85-90k. However, if you look at it per annum he's only at work for 26 weeks max (obviously less if he's sick or on annual leave).

But in relation to the ot, I can't believe that was even said. Sure, be frustrated at lack of communication, but my goodness teachers work incredibly hard and imo don't get the credit or pay they deserve.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    $130k would be bloody nice but yes I think it does depend a lot on location. And also possibly the actual job being done, the type of roster etc.

As for the op. I didn't realise people truly believed teachers got that much time off work? And for anyone to think they are overpaid? Or even adequately paid? That person clearly has no idea as to what really is involved in the job. I have the utmost respect for teachers and the job they do as I know from a few ppl around me just how hard their job is and how incredibly dedicated they are. It is most definitely not a job I could do and I appreciate every teacher out there who is doing their best by our children.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Really, what jobs? The only reason I ask is that everyone I know gets heaps, the going rate in the mines around here are 130 per year + and they are not fifo, they are local. Maybe it depends on the mine?
    It really depends on the site, type of mine and what you do. For example my hubbies position can vary from 80-140k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    The way it usually goes is one strike on it's own does nothing, but a series of rolling strikes plus in school action (things we did in Vic recently were refusing to use the multi-million dollar ultranet system, not even looking at the new curriculum, and we were preparing to snub NAPLAN too until a settlement was agreed upon in the 11th hour).. a strike is usually just one small aspect

I have to agree that as a parent it would be a huge PITA. As a teacher it's not ideal either- it puts planning out, it obviously affects out pay for the week and no one likes dealing with irate parents. But could anyone suggest another action that has such a huge affect on the community and media?
    I really hope it works, my kids school doubled in size between the end of last year and this year and we lost EAs!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Honestly I'm over under-qualified people falling into jobs and getting paid huge amounts while qualified, hard working people are told "they are paid enough". What can you do right?

You keep saying you know all these teachers. I think they would be shocked and a little hurt to read what you have written about them. By the time you take out the time it takes to plan every lesson, of every day, of every term, teachers are on around what everyone else is on 4-5 week a year with sick leave etc. Sorry KG but you clearly don't understand what's involved to say "plan your time better".
    The teachers I'm referring to are good friends of ours and agree that they aren't paid poorly and they don't work so many holidays. So no they wouldn't be shocked to read only what they have told me. Perhaps they get better conditions in the country living remote.

Thats exactly what I was saying, teachers may work some holidays but in the end they would still get 4-5 weeks off per year which is equivalent to every other working person. Do you think they deserve more time off, it doesn't sound like you think that is satisfactory.

Back to mining.. While there are jobs such as truck drivers that you don't need qualifications for apart from a licence the hours are still long etc. Other jobs such as supervisors, drillers etc you do need to be qualified and ongoing courses etc to maintain your position. These such positions are not easy to get into without qualifications. There is also the safety aspect which is very strict. In my dh's case he required lots of qualifications to obtain his position, he didn't just walk into it, he was responsible for over 30 people under him with much stress that came with it. He earned good money but he damn well deserved too. You don't get paid such good money in the mining industry to do nothing.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I do think it must depend on the mine as well - we are in the "heavy" production stage- new mine, lots to get through, another new two new ones discovered in the area, I am sure it will be a different story in 10 years. I was only using it as an example because a PP tried to compared teachers and miners saying teachers shouldn't complain and implying miners had it tougher.

HOF - you are right, teachers choose to be teachers - and I am glad they do, I for one would never be a teacher- not in a million years. They cop SO much flack, they always have to justify everything they do, they want to help and yet have to fight for funding to do it. No thank you, I want a cushy easy job that is highly paid and low in stress. Even more of a reason I appreciate teachers - I know I couldn't hack that job.
    Yep, its the reason I left child care too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't help but think that this is a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It does depend - I would say that someone who is not qualified and earning anything over 70,000 is doing really well for themselves. Obviously if someone is qualified then that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    It really depends on the site, type of mine and what you do. For example my hubbies position can vary from 80-140k.

I really hope it works, my kids school doubled in size between the end of last year and this year and we lost EAs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Yep, its the reason I left child care too.
    I did childcare for a summer, it almost crushed my soul - terrible pay, terrible conditions and lots of angry parents - it is truly a job you do for the love of it, not for the money!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes $90k for 26 weeks worth of work is decent and I'm certainly not complaining or saying it's insufficient, but I was just giving an example since you said the people you knew were paid $150k+ (or was it $130k? Sorry if I've got that detail wrong ). Basically I was just saying that not everyone in the mining industry is paid a 6 figure salary I think it's a bit hard to generalise - it depends on the mine, the company/contractor you're working for, your roster, your skills, etc. There are labourers who have virtually no qualifications, but there are also engineers with equivalent tertiary education. It's like any industry really - hard to lump everyone in together and say they all get paid heaps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Thats exactly what I was saying, teachers may work some holidays but in the end they would still get 4-5 weeks off per year which is equivalent to every other working person. Do you think they deserve more time off, it doesn't sound like you think that is satisfactory.

Back to mining.. While there are jobs such as truck drivers that you don't need qualifications for apart from a licence the hours are still long etc. Other jobs such as supervisors, drillers etc you do need to be qualified and ongoing courses etc to maintain your position. These such positions are not easy to get into without qualifications. There is also the safety aspect which is very strict. In my dh's case he required lots of qualifications to obtain his position, he didn't just walk into it, he was responsible for over 30 people under him with much stress that came with it. He earned good money but he damn well deserved too. You don't get paid such good money in the mining industry to do nothing.
    I'm confused. You clearly said they get 12 weeks of holidays and obviously meant they got them. You are back tracking. I also never said teachers should get more time off? Simply that the idea we get 12 weeks isn't true.

Mining is a mixed bag of qualifications. Many have little. Yes it's stressful and work long hours, but I think you've completely missed my point here KG - being a teacher is also super stressful, you are responsible for the welfare of 20-30 children. You do a 4 year uni degree. You work long hours. Yet miners are on often 3 times the amount. That's what I'm trying to say here - that teachers are *not* adequately paid.

This isn't ragging on miners. I'm using this example to highlight how crappy teacher pay is in comparision to mining, which *generally* is less qualified. Sure some are boiler makers, engineers... but ALL teachers have degrees.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014),BettyW  (01-04-2014),Chippa  (01-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),IvyRain  (01-04-2014),TimeForWine  (02-04-2014)