+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've not read all replies but I want to know where this teaching job is that entitles 12wks holidays and working hours of 8am-4pm (presumably weekdays only too??).

If such a teaching job exists, I will make very sure my husband take that job in an instant. That will be nicer that the 55+ hr week(including weekends), 4wks holiday and what I would also assume would be no extra curricular activities or week long camps... Maybe then he might be home for dinner, or to see his daughter every day

Yes, strikes may cause an inconvenience and I understand it disrupts the kids and their learning but don't go labelling teachers as having it easy.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Miners choose to go FIFO - and they get paid ludicrous amounts for it. I cannot believe you are even comparing the two professions to be honest.
    not everyone on a mine site gets paid a ludicrous amount and fyi teachers choose to be teachers.

I'm glad the teachers are striking, unfortunetly I don't think it will work. Maybe they should redirect some of the funding from private schools?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swear to god I have never clicked on the ''thanks'' icon so many times in one thread. lol.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (01-04-2014),CakeyMumma  (01-04-2014),Chippa  (01-04-2014),Daisy Duck  (01-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014),haveheart  (02-04-2014),LaDiDah  (01-04-2014),Lauzy  (01-04-2014),themissingpiece  (01-04-2014),ZAK  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Really, what jobs? The only reason I ask is that everyone I know gets heaps, the going rate in the mines around here are 130 per year + and they are not fifo, they are local. Maybe it depends on the mine?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    not everyone on a mine site gets paid a ludicrous amount and fyi teachers choose to be teachers.

I'm glad the teachers are striking, unfortunetly I don't think it will work. Maybe they should redirect some of the funding from private schools?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Miners choose to go FIFO - and they get paid ludicrous amounts for it. I cannot believe you are even comparing the two professions to be honest.
    Sorry but no not all those in the mining industry get paid "ludicrous amounts" and often there isn't all that much choice in the matter if there aren't many jobs in the area the person lives in the first place. Not wanting to start a debate but your comment is inaccurate. I know as my husband works FIFO.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-04-2014),Tazzy  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Sadly you are probably right. The Independent Schools Association would never stand for that, they already believe they are missing out from Gonski bc the funding is targeted as low SES schools.

If people really value the work of our teachers, they'll vote with their feet at the next federal election to get rid of Abbott and return a labor govt who will honor their promises.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (01-04-2014),ChickyBee  (01-04-2014),jesssalee  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really, what jobs? The only reason I ask is that everyone I know gets heaps, the going rate in the mines around here are 130 per year + and they are not fifo, they are local. Maybe it depends on the mine?
    Certainly does depend on location - my DH is fifo and a first level supervisor (so that's bottom of the supervisor chain but a step up from the general staff) and he gets $85-90k. However, if you look at it per annum he's only at work for 26 weeks max (obviously less if he's sick or on annual leave).

But in relation to the ot, I can't believe that was even said. Sure, be frustrated at lack of communication, but my goodness teachers work incredibly hard and imo don't get the credit or pay they deserve.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

The way it usually goes is one strike on it's own does nothing, but a series of rolling strikes plus in school action (things we did in Vic recently were refusing to use the multi-million dollar ultranet system, not even looking at the new curriculum, and we were preparing to snub NAPLAN too until a settlement was agreed upon in the 11th hour).. a strike is usually just one small aspect

I have to agree that as a parent it would be a huge PITA. As a teacher it's not ideal either- it puts planning out, it obviously affects out pay for the week and no one likes dealing with irate parents. But could anyone suggest another action that has such a huge affect on the community and media?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies so I apologise if this has been said.

The he teachers you are so freaking angry at for striking today are doing so to benefit your child. They are losing pay whilst striking. Our school now has 3 empty classes this year, students are falling behind as there are less EAs to support the teachers. Teachers are striking to protect our children's right to education.

IMO OP you need to pull your head in and look at the big picture.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mum2twinboys For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-04-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    But could anyone suggest another action that has such a huge affect on the community and media?
    Yes. This is the best question of the thread. Please explain OP what you want your teachers to do to fight for more funding for *your* child? I'm sure the teachers who are losing pay and getting bagged out, like in this thread, would love people to provide an alternative that will actually work?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-04-2014)