+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long does it take for a Newstart claim to get processed?!

DP was made redundant two months ago now (without pay!). The next day he called up Centrelink to claim Newstart. Anyway, he was told he had paperwork to fill out and hand in by his phone appointment which was 2 weeks later. He never received any forms even with numerous times calling up asking for them to be sent out, each time someone did, it never came.

After his phone appointment, they gave him in "in office" appointment to hand in the paper work he never received (which we ended up printing off their website). Turn out they put the incorrect street name in, even though he got through the security checks 4 times, with the correct street name (no one realized it was the wrong one on the file!).

So, the person who he had his appointment finally realized that the street address was wrong and they had the nerve to put down the "first point of contact" as the appointment he had at the office, NOT when he first claimed newstart on the phone 1.5 months ago. NOW 2 weeks later were still waiting on his newstart to be processed (with back pay!) and it looks like we aren't getting it again for another fortnight, WTF is going on? How can they allow people to go two months without an income, how can they be so slack and unprofessional like this? Has anyone else had to wait 2 months to get a newstart payment? or is something seriously f@cked up with centrelink?. I told him to make a major complaint at the complaints department with everyone who he has dealt with since calling up two months ago, it's atrocious!

We had no savings when he was made redundant and we've borrowed money to pay last months rent from my mum and it looks like were going to have to borrow another months since rent is due next week, dont get me started on bills, groceries, childcare, petrol etc etc, too bad it all costs money, because we got none!
    Last edited by Pusheen The Cat; 31-03-2014 at 17:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It takes ages. They made us spend our savings before letting us apply. I did that hubby got a phone interview today. (8 weeks later). Now it's going to take longer (2weeks) and they will back pay from the phone interview only umm I dont think so!! They have put us on pp instead of new start. Greatful but confusing.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    It takes ages. They made us spend our savings before letting us apply. I did that hubby got a phone interview today. (8 weeks later). Now it's going to take longer (2weeks) and they will back pay from the phone interview only umm I dont think so!! They have put us on pp instead of new start. Greatful but confusing.

Glad to hear your on some payment, I'm on PPP and ftb, but they're still basing it on him working f/t until his newstart is processed. So living on 300 p/f isnt working . I was on newstart a couple of times when I was 19-20 and I don't remember it taking this long! maybe 3 week tops?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Claim times are ridiculous if they stuff you around on backdating you actually have the right to appeal and be backdated to the date of first contact. They should be able to check the record for anyobe who has accessed your record the date and what was done. Call the complaints line for centrelink they actually get results pretty quickly when miatakes have been made.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh hubby got made redundant so we get ftb & disability now that hes not earning anything. We had to put our mortgage on hold and all they didn't care!

Just try and stretch food out and dw ws borrowed ofd our fil hate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If ur on ftb they don't see it as an urgency. We had to wait 5 weeks for mu husband austudy to go through. So we had to live on $900 a fortnight but only got part payment at start. Our rent is $1500 alone. We couldn't survive so had to borrow money for rent. We'd have nothing to live on for the fortnight.

PPP is processed on day of your interview. But getting an office interview can take weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It took a couple of months to process everything when my DP lost his job (newstart, ppp, FTB), we had to borrow money off his mum just to make ends meet...every time we rang there was something else we needed to do... In the end it turned out they were hung up on the fact DP owned a house with his ex and they thought we should be getting income from it (it was all tied up in the courts with lawyers, we weren't getting a brass razoo!), eventually we got that through to them and they backdated to when we'd first rung...but if we'd been completely reliant on that and didn't have the generosity of family we'd have been out on the street....