+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    Clinical guidelines (hospital notes) are to be used under hospital supervision, ie for patients. It would be a worst-case-scenario thing. Another example is using Restavit as a Hyperemesis treatment - contraindicated by pharmacist and GP and packet, but listed in the clinical guidelines of a couple of Aussie hospitals.

I would continue to use the cream you have for now, it doesn't work overnight and your nipple needs time to heal from the physical damage as well as the infection itself. Are you making sure you get the cream as far into the nipple hole/folds as you can?
    Thanks cakeish. Do you work in the medical profession? you seem to know a bit

I'm putting a fair amount of gel on. I didn't know nipples had holes/folds? Perhaps my right boob is still recovering from the previous damage...

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    VP, I would say it's the canesten drug company are being cautious, as are their right. My GP was completely fine with using Diflucan in b'feeding, be it for nipple thrush or vaginal thrush, and fully trusted the hospital guidelines. For example some things I read about the Daktarin cream suggests wiping off before feeds, which doesn't make sense as we are using Daktarin oral gel on baby. Speaking to your pharmacist to put your mind at ease may be another option.

Not only do the RWH suggest oral diflucan, Dr Jack Newman, a paediatrician who is sort of a breastfeeding guru in Canada, suggests far higher doses of fluconazole for nipple thrush. I was unable to fight nipple thrush with just topical treatment, and needed 2 rounds of Diflucan treatment.

Wishing you luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also cakeish, restavit is pregnancy category A, perhaps a misinformed GP thought it was contraindicated. Over the counter and perfectly safe in pregnancy. Far more widely used in the US and Canada for pregnancy vomiting, perhaps just not as popular here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP was also fine with me using diflucan/flucanozole while breastfeeding. The pharmacist asked me if I was breastfeeding and she didn't advise against taking it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (09-04-2014)