+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Taking young child to a musical?

I've been offered tickets to the Lion King Musical which I have been dying to see! The problem is if DH and I both go with my parents (who are offering the tickets) I will have no one to leave DD with. She will be 21 months at the time of the show. Would you take your 21 month old to a show? I don't know how she'll go as I've never taken her to anything like it before, I would hate for her to cry and ruin it for others and I'd have to spend the show outside, but she might find the colours and music interesting, I just don't know. What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I guess it depends on how you think she'll react. eg: will she want to run around and not sit still etc. We are seeing Lion King and taking our 6 and 7 year olds to a matinee, and leaving DD at home- she is 20 months. I just know there is no way she would sit still and I would be conscious of her ruining it for others, or me having to chase her around the foyer the entire time the show is going on. Also, if it as night, it might be too late?? I would take my DD to Playschool or Dora concert but not a full on musical- maybe in a few years...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't do it. We had a 2 year old in front of us during LK & she was terrified. She spent the entire show either wriggling or screaming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope probably too young to sit still and be quiet so as to not disturb others and probably would get scared by weird creatures and loud music. I personally wouldn't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I definitely wouldn't, I've seen the lion king and I believe it would be quite scary for a toddler, as well as incredibly loud

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw it in January with my 6 year old DD. I don't think I saw any kids much younger then my DD.
    would your child sit through a movie at the movies? It is quiet a long show and as someone else said loud. Also if you're sitting down the bottom on the isle seats The animals walk down them throughout the show so can be a bit scary for young children.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally wouldn't. I went and saw King Kong and there was a baby about 9 months old there. He was sitting about 10 rows from me, but I still heard him screaming for the first 10 mins. I was pretty annoyed. I didn't pay over $200 to hear a baby scream, especially as it was my first time being away from my (then) 8 month old DD for more than an hour. I felt bad for the baby too!

As as others have said, it depends on what your baby is like, but I do think that loud a noise would scare any toddler! Lion King is quite loud too. Can you get a friend or a paid babysitter to babysit?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my DD to see Andre Reui when she was 26 months. She LOVES him, it was her not me wanting to see him. She LOVED it for an hour then started screaming to go home. Would you be prepared for that? I have no regrets and I did manage to string her out till the end with minimal impact on others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't. Lion King the Musical is nothing like the movie, it is very loud with large (what a child may think as scary) masks. I think it would be a bad idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    It depends on the child I think. DS1 could easily have gone to a musical at that age. DS2 however would probably want to run around. I took him with us to Grease at almost 11 months and he was great in that (clapped at all the right times and slept for the second half).

If you can get her minded then don't take her but if it means you not seeing the show then take her and be prepared to take her out and miss bits.

Sent from my telecommunications device.