+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation questionable developmental assessment.

My child is 25 months old today so 2 years and 1 month. There are some communication issues in particular receptive speech delay. An assessment was carried out last week and my child was given a pair of scissors and asked to cut the paper. Child had never help scissors before, They are not a toy to play with at home and daycare have not introduced them in the toddlers room yet.
    So naturally my child failed the scissors fine motor skills test. But I'm feeling skeptical. If they had asked child to thread some beads onto a string or arrange some gears on a board my child would have aced it. But because they chose to use scissors as the tool of choice he failed which bought him into the below average realm.

what do you guys think?, is giving scissors to a 25 month old a fair test? I don't think it is. Or should my 25month old know how to cut with scissors by now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter is almost 21 mths and I haven't considered giving her scissors to use. I wouldn't think they could use that alone particularly if the child has never used them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm frequently told my DD1 is bright and she has only just started to be able to cut paper now and she's been using them for 6 months, she's 2.5yrs.

It doesn't seem right to me. Maybe 5, but not 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 2.5 years and is learning how to cut with play scissors now. Only within the last couple of months have they been introduces, at craft time at home and at daycare.

I don't think asking a 2yo to display motor skills through cutting with scissors is a fair assessment without first ascertaining if the kid has ever seen scissors before! It is highly conceivable at that age that they haven't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I feel the same way. it was not a good test.

I will be working on his cutting skills now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 3yrs and 3 months and I haven't even given him scissors yet!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was cutting with scissors the only task they used to assess his fine motor skills, or did they also get him to build with blocks, draw, etc? If it was part of series of tasks, one item wouldn't make much difference to his overall result.

If it was a standardised assessment protocol, eg the Bayley, he would have had to 'fail' a certain number of tasks before they will stop assessing so that they can be sure that they have assessed to the limits of his current ability. This means that the assessor will need to give tasks that are beyond the child's ability, and often beyond what seems like age-appropriate ability, to do the assessment properly and in the fairest way for the child.