+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    its a daycare centre. about 60 families send children there so its a reasonable size.....

this is a shedding a new light on it for me.......i had not looked at this way. was i naive......i just thought oh extra money = the kids will have new stuff = great ?

however i personally myself dont (think?) have a problem pitching in for the odd fundraise, say two a year ...however yes in hindisght i can easily see others point of view eg that maybe they should have bought the eggs themselves considering we pay fee's etc...

mmmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's totally understandable you contributed bc you saw the fact there would be new equipment for your child. I argue the centre should be fully responsible for that though. Like Risfaerie I'd be fine with bringing in egg cartons and milk bottles etc but just for me personally, I would find all this fundraising for a profit centre where all the costs are again funded by the families is unscrupulous tbh.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you're being naive at all. DD1 and DD2 attended a very expensive private day care centre in Melbourne and once a year they ran a fundraising art show. The kids loved it as did the families and it made quite a bit of money.

The centre paid its staff some of the highest wages in the industry and had very low staff turnover and very happy staff. It was by no means brand spanking new but the outdoor facilities were amazing. We also had numerous working bees each year and family days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS goes to a private daycare. Like a pp mentioned the only fundraising they have done was for certain causes eg. Breast Cancer etc. It was around christmas and All the staff donated their time over a weekend and had a funday for the kids - all proceeds went to the cause.

As a business, I don't really think its appropriate for them to ask for parents to provide extra funds/donations for things they should really be providing in the first place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's double dipping. If you are running a business for profit, the required equipment to run said business should be funded by your profits, or from appropriate grants.

As PP said, you do not donate money to a restaurant to buy a new table! Nor do you donate to Woolworths to buy your groceries!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    JFB ask them for a break down of their finances if you are concerned. Our centre was completely transparent about where the money went and the one fundraising event they did each year was for something specific that the centre would have not been otherwise able to provide. So not for everyday equipment which I agree they should be providing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    JFB ask them for a break down of their finances if you are concerned. Our centre was completely transparent about where the money went and the one fundraising event they did each year was for something specific that the centre would have not been otherwise able to provide. So not for everyday equipment which I agree they should be providing.
    good idea....

ok there is a "committee meeting" coming up ...the said peron who questioned it (in passing to me and tbh i thought "oh gee what a negative nancy....)asked the director to check that they were actually allowed to fundraise so i guess i'll see what the response is....

they did try to fundraise last year for quite a few causes but stopped it for most part this year as they said they didnt really get enough responses to justify it eg pink day afternoon tea...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I definitely think more than one or two a year is pushing it. Day care centres are very different from schools in that parents have a choice (in part) about where they send their kids and are *usually* sending their kids because they are working and busy. Day care isn't cheap so parents don't want to be hassled and contributing too much extra. Like I said our centre had an art auction and I also now remember they sold bulbs for planting. The centre grounds were very old and needed a lot of upgrading which was either going to take a few years or could happen in one year through extra fundraising.

Fundraising is always optional - people aren't obliged to participate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm happy for a little fundraising if it means the centre spends more money on higher wages for awesome staff (and therefore less staff turnover), as they are the centre's most important asset.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to fundraise as a pnf . We had to hold meetings , minutes and have a bank account .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)