+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question fundraising at a privately owned daycares

Hi

recently someone bought up the idea that it may not be "legal" for privately owned daycares to fundraise...i had never thought about it and just tried to find out some info but couldnt find much. to me i thought it would be fine as its a small family owned daycare and the fundraising is for new play equipment etc....there was also the arugument that all expenses should come out of the profits and what if the business is then sold etc etc ...i had not thought about taht either?... to me new play equipment etc is pretty expensive and maybe a few fundraisers might poentially keep fee's down? plus im for it because if its benefits the kids then im happy....anyone know anything about it?
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know much about the legalities of "fundraising" for a private organization, however the government does provide equipment grants. I think the owners are being a bit greedy, their business is to provide safe play equipment & staff to supervise the children. How would you feel about fundraising for a restaurant to buy new tables?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine that it has to do with how the business is registered. If it's not a non-profit business than fundraising would be reportable income for the business, I'd assume.

The owner of a business has a right to do what he/she wants with the profits, and likewise the customer wouldn't have to use their service if the play equipment was old and run-down. Many public and private schools fundraise, so there is a major precedent. But parents all over the world also resent being asked to give additional funds on top of tuition fees!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lazyjane211 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with smyles.. I would expect the daycare to have that stuff and replace it themselves when it breaks or they need something new. Like a centre would. . Doesnt make a difference to me that the daycare is at a home or centre I wouldnt be comfortable being asked to chip in for equipment on top of already high $90 a day for me.. fees

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    I don't know much about the legalities of "fundraising" for a private organization, however the government does provide equipment grants. I think the owners are being a bit greedy, their business is to provide safe play equipment & staff to supervise the children. How would you feel about fundraising for a restaurant to buy new tables?
    does anybody know how much govt grant a private daycare would get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjane211 View Post
    I would imagine that it has to do with how the business is registered. If it's not a non-profit business than fundraising would be reportable income for the business, I'd assume.

The owner of a business has a right to do what he/she wants with the profits, and likewise the customer wouldn't have to use their service if the play equipment was old and run-down. Many public and private schools fundraise, so there is a major precedent. But parents all over the world also resent being asked to give additional funds on top of tuition fees!
    yes..i guess because im just used to seeing fundraisers etc all the time i didnt think twice about it either....

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks

the fundraising in question is to build a cordoned off play area for the younger children and i think to put in a permanent swing set type of equipment eg like a mini park? thing i guess...

the type of fundraising so far is an easter egg raffle (parents were asked to donate an egg etc and then given 10 one dollar tickets to sell), other suggestions have been sausage sizzle at bunnings (altho i was again told by same person that bunnings dont allow profit organisations to run a sausage sizzle on thier sites?)....its all new to me and i never questioned it....i guess i just wanted to know where it stands legally and morally i guess as weve (parents) been asked for possible fundraising suggestions and what others opinions / whether daycares you go to do it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this at a Daycare centre or at a Family Daycare home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That would rub me up the wrong way. Not for profit centres only charge what it costs to run the centre, private obviously run for a profit by charging more. We have two DC's in town, one of each and the private one charges about 50% more. Even with the 50% rebate, parents would still be paying more.

In the very least they should be providing all the easter eggs? It's a bit rich for a for-profit centre to ask parents to supply all the eggs plus buy tickets on top of their fees. But then I refused to send mine private bc the whole idea of money being made of child care doesn't fit with my philosophies

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would rub me the wrong way too. My kids go to a privately run, for profit childcare centre as there is no other alternatives in my area. They have never asked for us to fundraise for them, for any reasons, and they provide the kids with Easter eggs for the Easter party, a small Christmas present, and various other bits and pieces throughout the year.

The only fundraising our centre has ever been involved in is things like Daffodil Day and other events to raise funds for various charity organisations, which I have happily contributed to. They also do ask for things like egg cartons and plastic bottles to be sent with kids if we have them as they recycle them into craft, which I am totally OK with.