+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding while lying down or using a carrier

I know this is not the breastfeeding section but for the life of me, I cannot find it!

But my question is:

How the freak do you fb lying down or using a carrier?

I just cannot do either, it hurts! And I can't get the positioning right

DS2 is 8 weeks old today and I've tried lying down a couple of times and failed miserably

Doesn't help that I STILL have nipple pain and attachment issues

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    He may just still be a bit young and little for it.

I don't feed in a carrier, but I do often feed laying down. I lay on my side, and then pull dd into and over to me. I usually have two pillows under my head to keep it relatively in line, and the underneath arm stretches out under my head so as not to get in the way of dd if that makes sense?

I'll see if I can find a pic. I'll also move this to the bf section for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (31-03-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bf lying on my side, with bub on their back squished up really close. Similar to this pic:

images.jpg

The only carrier I've been able to feed in a ring sling, where I can loosen the material a bit and drop bub down to a cradle position.

ETA: with DS2 I had quite a forceful letdown, so fed laying on my back with a couple of pillow behind me and him on top of me across my chest. Kind of like the cradle position, but laying back.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 31-03-2014 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to mention size of bub too. I found it difficult to begin with being so tiny, and I've got big boobs, but the bigger she got te better, though also I fed laying down because of the size of boobs. Pillows to support you and/or bub as mentioned, and for sling I have a baby k'tan, and feed well in it, dd is 7 weeks. I find wearing a singlet with a drop down and a button up shirt for easy access while in the sling, and I position bubs face exactly at my nipple. Can't move very fast, but very handy still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like the others laying on your side and with a carrier I always put the carrier up a bit higher so bub could nuzzle in and feed. I had to feed on the run nearly every day because DD would always want a feed during school drop off and pick up..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never fed bubs lying down until they learnt to attach themselves correctly. I found it difficult to attach them properly in that position and they would end up just chewing on my nip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started bfing laying on our sides facing each other when DD was about a week old because my milk flowed down quite fast and she would choke. She's always been great at latching though so that was never an issue.
    Now at nearly 5 months old she's wriggling all the time so it's sometimes easier to sit up and hold her to feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I may try again when he's a bit bigger and attachment is better.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is definitely a bit of an art to learning to feed lying down. It took me ages to get it right with my first. Thankfully it's like riding a bike and when my 2nd came along 5 years later it was easy and I could do it from 1 week old.

DD lived in the ring sling but I could never successfully feed her in it. DS I used a stretchy wrap when he was little and I did feed him in it once, but it was hard not to smother him doing it (and my boozies aren't anything huge) and ripped my nipples to shreds as it was just a terrible angle. Kudos to women who can feed in a sling!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app