+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Butlers Pantry - useful or a waste of space?

We're in the very early stages of looking to build a new home. I've noticed that a lot of the display homes have a butlers pantry and I'm wondering how useful it is. I love the idea of such a huge space to store all of my small appliances and obviously food, and could keep my kettle and maybe microwave in there (if the kitchen design doesn't already have a microwave hutch) but I wouldn't do any food prep in there. I love in the new designs that the kitchen is so much a central hub of the home so I wouldn't want to be hidden away! So I'm just wondering if those who have one love it, or whether the space would be better used for a study nook or to extend the laundry, depending on the overall design of the home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL's house has one. There's a sink and the dishwasher is in there.
    Food prep done in kitchen.
    But clean up goes straight into the "pantry" which keeps everything looking clean
    It's a good idea if you have the space.

I'd Never seen one before, when I saw theirs I literally said "this is not a pantry! It's another kitchen for gods sake!" Lol. But totally love the idea of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love the idea of one, and DH have one in our "dream" home plans.
    Like you, I wouldn't use it for food prep, I plan to have a small sink in the island bench- just big enough to fill a saucepan/ jug, rinse off fruit and veg, etc. and have a super-sized sink and dishwasher in the pantry, with plenty of shelves for storage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I first saw them thought they were a waste of space but now I love the idea of them especially for small appliances and cleaning up my thermomix

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just becomes another area to clean. Much prefer a corner for small appliances. Would rather a larger laundry big enough for a drying rack and storage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    There was one in a house we stayed in one Christmas. once I got the hang of it I loved it. Used it a lot for preparing snacks and small meals for kids when we had people over and meant I could keep the mess out of view and not feel like I had to clean up immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I would love love love one! Very classy, I believe the kitchen is the heart of the home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just finalised the plans for our new home and my two 'must haves' were butlers pantry and walk in linen!

I can't wait to have my dream pantry! It has a sink and a dedicated appliance bench

I think now that most new homes have butler pantries or oversized ones. We went with a custom plan but nearly every project builder's plan had one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one and I love it! All the kitchen appliances are in there, the extra freezer and all the pantry food...so much space. Very useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The house we are renting has one and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! We are beginning to design our dream house and having one is a must. Even DF said we have to have one