+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Travel tips to the UK please....

I'm going to the uk in a couple of weeks for a week.

the last time I was there was over 10 years ago.

I'd love some tips on what to wear for a) sightseeing and b) corporate wear to stay warm, comfortable and not look like I'm on a national lampoons vacation...

Also so some places to go. I'm spending a weekend in London and 4 nights in Oxford. Planning on spending a day at Portobello market and that's all I've got so far...

Hit me

Shout out to @kw123

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Work trip? Buying clothes over there or just taking what you have?

Unfortunately I haven't actually lived there for 10 years either lol!
    Layers is the key though. April will likely be wet so definitely need a good pair of boots.

Where are you spending the majority of the time?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a work trip so a mix of work based stuff and sight seeing, most time will be spent In oxford. It was the conference I initially said no to and changed my mind, got lucky and now I'm going.

I definitely want to do some shipping there. Good tip with the boots and I'm thinking a good waterproof jacket too.,,

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was in London in October last year. Highlights for us were the London Eye (be prepared to line up in the rain), the Tower of London (which I had been to before but it was still good), walks through Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens etc. DH loves the Natural History Museum so he spent a day there while I shopped out Cath Kidston and walked around South Kensington on my own. We had a couple of posh afternoon teas which were fun (lots of places to do this). We had a couple of days where we just sort of wandered around which I loved actually.
    Have fun! I love London

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I'm thinking I will love some walks through the gardens. I can see myself easily spending a whole day wandering down portobello

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just sent this to a friend last night going to Oxford.

Museums
    - Ashmolean. Great collection of stuff from Ancient Egypt onwards. My favourite place in Oxford.
    - Natural History Museum / Pitt Rivers Museum. http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/collections.html You have to walk through the Natural History Museum to get to Pitt Rivers. Oddest collection of stuff put together in one big room.
    - History of Science http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/ Not very big but has interesting science gadgets eg astrolabes. Think alchemy.

University
    - Christ Church Cathedral - One of the most popular places to visit.
    - Bodleian Library - not a lot to see, sometimes has exhibitions in a tiny room, however it is in the centre of town and the gift shop has nice things.
    - Magdalen College - also has a deer park that can be visited.
    - Sheldonian Theatre - Built by Christopher Wren. Only if you have time, but can be a quick visit and has a tower with view over part of the city. It didn't cost a lot to get in. It's also right near the Bodleian.

If you like Alice In Wonderland
    - Alice's Shop - opposite Christ Church Cathedral

Blackwells Bookshop.
    http://www.aliceinwonderlandshop.co.uk/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much! I'm staying at Oxford university so I'll definitely be checking out a lot of things on your list, lots of our stuff will be held in the sheldonian

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And if you like touring old houses and gardens then Blenheim Palace is a bus ride north.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abibelsmum View Post
    And if you like touring old houses and gardens then Blenheim Palace is a bus ride north.
    This was a great place to visit. Einstein Churchill was born here as well.

Don't forget to check out Covent garden. The Tate modern museum is great. Tower of London.

If you are interested in war history, you can go on a tour of churchill's secret cabinet rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm currently living in London. Are you from Melbourne? I can't remember? I'd wear what you would in Melbourne in winter/spring for those occasions. It's currently 19 and sunny but during the week it was 13 and rainy, so varying (like Melbourne) quite a bit right now.

Columbia road flower market in east London on Sunday is beautiful, great atmosphere and cute shops and cafés along the way. Portobello on Friday and Sunday is much quieter than Saturday so I'd recommend those days instead. Saturday is a bit manic there but if you want to see it in it's full atmosphere then go then.

Hmmm what else... I'll keep thinking and come back!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 30-03-2014 at 00:22.