+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds pretty normal to me. My dd has days where she eats a few mouthfuls each meal and days when she can eat multiple meals, or beat my husband in quantity! She's always ben like this and she's now four. She's never been underweight except once when shed had a bad virus, and she put the weight back on rapidly after recovering.

My take on this is its a natural appetite cycle, it ebbs and falls depending on mood, activity, weather and who knows what else. If you're offering a good range of healthy foods at meal and snack times, she'll eat the quantity she needs.

I think we over think it and over regulate our meals as we get older, which can lead to weight problems in later life because I know i find it hard to eat less when I need less, because I'm so used to the three meals a day routine that you "have" to have. Even if my energy output is low and I'm not hungry, I seem to force dinner on myself. Why?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacquilove For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hopefully and by the sound of other posters, its just a phase.

perhaps she feels as tho there are more interesting things to do than sit in one spot for an extended amount of time to eat?? how do u feel about letting her graze through out the day? make a little platter and let her go to and from as she pleases?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't offer alternatives imo. Today both girls refused dinner so they just got their usual milk and straight to bed. I believe if you keep offering alternative meals then there is no incentive to eat what you are given first.

Of course if there are underlying issues this point is moot.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    She has around 200 mls a day, sometimes more/less.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    I would just follow her lead than

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    hopefully and by the sound of other posters, its just a phase.

perhaps she feels as tho there are more interesting things to do than sit in one spot for an extended amount of time to eat?? how do u feel about letting her graze through out the day? make a little platter and let her go to and from as she pleases?
    Thanks. Yeah that's how she normally eats, I make her a platter with slices of ham, corn spears, tomatoes etc, and she normally loves that kind of stuff. She's just being awfully picky lately and you're right, she's got better things to do than eat, lol.
    I guess I'm overthinking it especially this past week as she's starting daycare next week (2 days) and I'm thinking she's going to be a nightmare for the carers, especially as the centre provides the food and she's going through this phase.

Last edited by ~Marigold~; 29-03-2014 at 20:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    (double post)
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 29-03-2014 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you checked in her mouth? Is she getting her two year old molars?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Have you checked in her mouth? Is she getting her two year old molars?
    That could be it! I'll check tomorrow. Come to think of it she had been dribbling a lot..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it makes you feel any better my 2yr old today has had the equivalent of 1/4 piece of bread, 2 teaspoons of weet bix, 1/2 yoghurt pouch and a bite of sausage roll. Probably 30mL milk. I give up! No matter what I offer she just isn't interested some days, Dr said she wouldn't starve herself so I just have to have faith in that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    That could be it! I'll check tomorrow. Come to think of it she had been dribbling a lot..

If it is her molars, at least you know this behaviour won't last! Though dd2 (23 months old) has taken about 4 weeks to get one tooth all the way through!!!! She still has the other three to come!!!

Some days she eats NOTHING, at all. But most days she'll eat some strawberries and watermelon..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)