+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default She hardly eats!

My 20 month old DD is eating less and less lately and I'm at my wits end. I wonder if this is fairly normal toddler behaviour or just my little monster
    Here's a look at today:
    Breakfast I made her scrambled eggs with ham and cherry tomatoes and a little English muffin. She ate approx a quarter of the muffin (3 nibbles) and picked out a few pieces of ham, avoiding the eggs all together.
    About an hour later I made her a bowl of weetbix which she refused until I added a handful of Nutrigrain to it, she then ate maybe 6 mouthfuls (less than half of the bowl).
    Lunch we were out and about so we popped into KFC; she ate some chips (no trouble feeding her hot chips, lol, but that's a rare treat..even still, she ate that like a tiny bird, maybe 5 chips.
    Afternoon tea, she played with a bowl of blueberries and ate half a dozen grapes. Squeezed her pouch of yoghurt all over the floor. Turned her nose up at a bowl of baby carrots and corn kernels (usually her favourite).
    So I decided not to offer her anything else until dinner time, thinking she'd surely have an appetite by then.
    Dinner: She "tasted" her ravioli but I couldn't get more than 2 mouthfuls into her.
    I don't like putting her to bed with an empty tummy so I made her something else.. corn on the cob, broccoli and some cheese and spinach pastry things. She had a tiny nibble of each thing before promptly dumping it on the floor.
    I seriously give up. This kid doesn't like to eat!
    What am I doing wrong? Sigh.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is she on any milk?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    stop stressing about it. dont make a big deal about it or let her see that it's stressing you out. let her sit with everyone at meal times, serve her up her meals, focus on eating your meal. and see how she goes.

ds#2 and i just completed feeding therapy (he is 4.5 yrs old and currently regressed to infancy level regarding food; liquids only)

and they say ANY kind of stress or pressure or negativity makes it worse! it can make them feel uneasy and anxious about not making you happy and THAT they will relate to food. negativity + food = disaster

just see how she goes. i know its not the norm for your DD but i was reading that thinking it was pretty good!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-03-2014),headoverfeet  (29-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (29-03-2014),mrswhitehouse  (29-03-2014),smallpotatoes  (29-03-2014),Tamtam  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Is she on any milk?
    She has around 200 mls a day, sometimes more/less.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree about the stress, my DD is starting to refuse food (normally she'll try anything) so I started to make it more fun. We sing songs, I do the aeroplane, and make silly faces. We just giggled through a dinner she wasn't interested in (although if she's full this won't work, so I give her a glass of milk instead).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    its sooo hard and soooo stressful. so i can completely understand why you're at your wits end.

if she drops weight from her lack of appetite, def investigate!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrote almost the exact same post about my 17 month old DS a few days ago!!! You are not alone!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I agree about the stress, my DD is starting to refuse food (normally she'll try anything) so I started to make it more fun. We sing songs, I do the aeroplane, and make silly faces. We just giggled through a dinner she wasn't interested in (although if she's full this won't work, so I give her a glass of milk instead).
    pretty much perfect! we pick one meal a week with Ds#2 where eating isnt the goal. (because he doesnt anyway) and we get realllly messy! we squash grapes, we paint with sghetti sauce, we make ham mustaches! (a child without issues will eventually take a nibble of the food during the play) we just get as ridiculous and messy as possible. and it takes the stress out of it.

so now DD (15 months) takes the ham off her sandwich and puts it on her face and laughs. but she then does eat it!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is my 20 month old. I completely understand the frustration.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My stress levels are usually kept in check during meal times, I don't freak out in front of her or anything; she eats her meals with the family. We don't make a fuss, just remove her food (if its not already on the floor by that stage) and I'll offer her something else later.
    She sits in her her high chair happily for the first few minutes and is usually keen to taste new foods, she just doesn't eat them after tasting anymore. A nibble here and there and then it's "mama, out, mama, out!" she demands and screams to be taken out of her high chair. So I got her a little toddler table, but even when I sit on the floor next her and praise her every mouthful, she just wanders off and refuses to eat. She's even gone off her favourites these past few weeks as well- I could usually count on a banana or raisin toast to fill her up if she refused the meals I'd made, but she won't even touch them anymore.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-03-2014)