+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    How did Cameron 'deal' with those abuses? What was the result?
    He dealt with those abuses by publicly standing up for human rights and against war crimes. And last week saw ...

London: British Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday welcomed the decision of the UNHRC to initiate its own independent investigation into alleged war crimes in Sri Lanka.

"I am pleased that the UN Human Rights Council has today agreed to press ahead with its own independent investigation into alleged war crimes in Sri Lanka," Cameron said.

"This is a victory for the people of Sri Lanka who need to know the truth about what happened during those terrible years of the civil war so that they can move forward," he said in a statement.

Cameron said Thursday's outcome has been "triggered by the failure of the Sri Lankan government to stand by its promises to credibly and independently investigate alleged violations on both sides during the war" against the LTTE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Don't you have google?
    I read that he talked about Sri Lanka, and visited them. I did not read anything about what it achieved. Maybe you can help me with that?

Actions speak louder than words. But it seems that most on here would rather Australia just talk about stuff rather than actually do anything.

Rudd and Gillard talked for years and achieved absolutely nothing (except of course over 1000 deaths).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    He dealt with those abuses by publicly standing up for human rights and against war crimes. And last week saw ...
    Great. We'll see what comes of the investigation. And then what the UN say should happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I read that he talked about Sri Lanka, and visited them. I did not read anything about what it achieved. Maybe you can help me with that?

Actions speak louder than words. But it seems that most on here would rather Australia just talk about stuff rather than actually do anything.

Rudd and Gillard talked for years and achieved absolutely nothing (except of course over 1000 deaths).
    Can you show me where anyone has said we should "just talk about stuff" and do nothing? I'm having a hard time finding such posts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great. We'll see what comes of the investigation. And then what the UN say should happen.
    Which could well be indictments for war crimes filed at the Hague.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that Abbott placed himself on the wrong side of this issue, which has a direct bearing on the asylum seeker problem if one is genuinely interested in treating the underlying causes rather than doing a cheap impersonation of a radio shock jock.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you show me where anyone has said we should "just talk about stuff" and do nothing? I'm having a hard time finding such posts??
    Maybe you can show me a post where someone actually suggest something....anything, other than increasing the intake.

I guess we can always 'do what we can'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you can show me a post where someone actually suggest something....anything, other than increasing the intake.

I guess we can always 'do what we can'.
    No really- you've made the statement that posters here "just think we should talk about stuff" instead of doing anything- back it up or retract it instead of trying to mock me for thinking that we should be doing more to address global issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No really- you've made the statement that posters here "just think we should talk about stuff" instead of doing anything- back it up or retract it instead of trying to mock me for thinking that we should be doing more to address global issues.
    Atropos. I have no need to retract it. You disagree with anything the government does regarding this issue. You have no idea what they should be doing. No actions. Just words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So suggestions such as improving our engagment with Burma and Sri Lanka?

Or if you had in mind the immediate issue of asylum seekers, perhaps suggestions such as restoring the right to work for those on bridging visas, increasing community placement rather than closed detention, or even actually processing people's claims and issuing protection visas for those who are successful. That's just from this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Or if you had in mind the immediate issue of asylum seekers, perhaps suggestions such as restoring the right to work for those on bridging visas, increasing community placement rather than closed detention, or even actually processing people's claims and issuing protection visas for those who are successful. That's just from this thread.
    I agree with them. But those do not 'stop the boats' or fix the root cause.