+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cold sore and toddler

My 18 month old has broken out with what seems like cold sores this morning. I'm absolutely devastated 😞. I'm so stressed that she is going to spread them to other parts of her body especially during nappy changes. I keep washing her hands but her hands are always in her mouth etc
    How can I stop her spreading these/making them worse any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you certain that they're cold sores? Have you had them checked out?
    I've never heard of a cold sore being anywhere but the lips, so not sure about spreading to other parts of the body.
    I do vaguely recall hearing something about babies and cold sores being dangerous, I would have a professional look at them, a chemist should be able to advise you.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Are you sure it's not hand foot and mouth?

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Are you certain that they're cold sores? Have you had them checked out?
    I've never heard of a cold sore being anywhere but the lips, so not sure about spreading to other parts of the body.

Cold sore (i.e. A herpes lesion on the mouth) is usually HSV1. You can transfer HSV1 to the genital (usually done through oral s3x) and you can transfer it to the eye as well (nasty).
    Similarly, HSV2 (a herpes virus usually found on the genitals) can also be transferred to the mouth. I've never seen it in the eye but there is no reason theoretically speaking while you can't.

OP, firstly try and find out if it's HSV. Who do you know that has HSV kissed your child, or shared a straw or something like that? I'd be well cranky with them.
    Secondly might be worth buying the little cold sore dressings ('compeed' or something like that) to cover it. If it's covered she will be less likely to get the herpetic fluid on her fingers and then transfer it anywhere.
    Wipe/wash her hands regularly and if it is HSV, the sore will remain infectious until it's crusted over. It's the fluid inside that is infectious.
    I agree with @Marigold, best have a healthcare worker have a look.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Aww your poor bubba. It's a very very common virus so don't beat yourself up over it. I think something like 50-80 % of the population carry it so bubs potentially could of picked it up anywhere. keep up with the hand washing. I think spreading it to the eyes is probably the area you should most be concerned about if indeed it is cold sores. What about wearing tights and long sleeves? Is it cool enough where you are? Maybe head off to the dr tomorrow to get it checked out. I've heard the first outbreak is usually the worst.

I wish I could help more but that's all I know.