+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving from Sydney to Darwin

Hello! We're excited to be relocating for my partner's work at the Wildlife Park. (Yay: animals animals animals! ) Can you please help with a couple of random questions I couldn't find answers to:

- Are rugs useful in Darwin? I know most places are tiled, but my 1-year old is still finding his feet so should we freight our rug?

- Could my fabric sofa be too warm for Darwin? I'm wondering if my beloved but scratchy upholstered L-shaped lounge is worth freighting too. Is it possible that it would be uncomfortable to sit on while dealing with tropical weather? If it's expensive to buy furniture we could move it and make do with a sheet/ canopy thrown over it.

- Are there any baby things that are tricky to find in NT? We're bringing the cot and pram, but hoping to buy a second hand bath and maybe high chair etc. Would I be better off bringing more stuff with me, or are prices for seconds fair up there?

(N.B. We'll be on a pretty tight budget and I imagine most of our dosh will go towards the ridiculous cost of renting, but I'm happy to buy second hand.)

- What do you think of living in Palmerston vs Humpty Doo?

- Any recommendations on community based childcare centres?
    Quite a few questions! I'll add more as they crop up. Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hey congrats on moving to Darwin! My partner used to live at the wild life park, he loved it!

Basically all furniture and rugs are fine, I'm not sure that either of those things would effect how hot you will get so I would bring them up. Air con is my best friend! The only thing I would steer clear of is having a leather lounge up here as they crack very easily in this weather...although that doesn't apply to your question.

I've never really had a problem buying anything baby related. If you can't find it up here It's easy to buy online. The local fb buy swap and sell sites are really good, I've bought some awesome baby things practically new The only thing that annoys me is when the seasons change down south it effects the clothing in our stores. So when It's coming up to winter down south but still hot up here I find it hard to buy summery clothes for our family. But I usually buy online if that happens

Humpty Doo is a bit far out for me because my partner works at the hospital. In saying that though there are beautiful and quiet properties out there. Palmerston is lovely if you stick to the better suburbs. A lot of the suburbs have a nice family feel to it and there are some lovely parks around
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 29-03-2014 at 11:02.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Laines  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and I haven't used child care up here yet but a lot of them have a long waiting list. We did check one out end of last year and they were awesome and had vacancies There are heaps of child care centres about though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Laines  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Miss Lily! For your detailed information and brilliantly quick response.

Also, what do you think of living in Darwin vs Palmerston? Is it (rent & shopping) much more expensive?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laines For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find that the closer you get to the city the less you get for your money in terms of housing. The northern suburbs can also get pricey depending on the suburb but there are some really lovely suburbs. Palmerston is cheaper mostly and the houses aren't as old I find. Groceries are pretty much the same anywhere so It's really just the rent prices and area you would want to base your decision on, plus schools ofcourse . Also Palmerston and Humpty Doo are closer to the Wild life park

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Palmerston all t he way! Cheaper and looks nicer than the norther suburbs. It doesnt take too long to get in the city from out here anyway.... spesh if you are used to built up areas like bridsie where it take an hour or more to get somewhere near by. hubby and I love it here. So relaxed.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MayoBean For This Useful Post:

Laines  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving from Sydney to Darwin

We moved back down south about six months ago, just before falling pregnant so I can't help with childcare too much. Darwin is such a beautiful place, I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.

- Are rugs useful in Darwin? we had wooden floors and a rug or two, it was fine.

- Could my fabric sofa be too warm for Darwin? we had leather couches and I'd much prefer fabric up there. Leather gets sweaty under you, whereas fabric will absorb the moisture. ......so get it cleaned every now and then lr top with a sheet in the wet, depending how sweaty you are! Lol. Also - be wary when going away or on holidays. If its the wet you'll come home and it will be covered in mould. Get lots and lots of those moisture absorbers for everywhere. Every room in the house!

- Are there any baby things that are tricky to find in NT? not so much tricky to find but over priced. Buy swap sell sites are rife up there, with so many defence families coming and going they tend to offload stuff when moving/arriving. You can pick things up cheaply-ish.

- What do you think of living in Palmerston vs Humpty Doo?
    DH was RAAF while we were up there so we lived on a base in Berrimah, and for us the location was PERFECT. If I had the choice between the two locations listed I'd go Palmerston. Humpty Doo is too far out for me.
    Have a good think about the style of housing you want though. We had an old house on stilts, with louvred walls and oh my god it was soooooo good. When we first we arrived we'd close everything up and run the aircon, after we'd been there for a while and acclimatised we'd just open up the louvres. It makes a huge difference in airflow in the house, and we could last much much longer before needing to run the air con, saving us heaps of money. We sacrificed things like ensuites etc that you would get in a more modern house but I'd do it again. They had the right idea when they built these houses back in the day, they suit the climate.
    Our energy bills were tiny compared to friends of ours who had a more modern house with all the conveniences, but they had to run the air con almost constantly because it wasn't suited to the climate. It could have just been them though - not acclimatising etc. others might have had a different experience!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

Laines  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh. With electricity we have never paid over $300. We dont run the aircon much at all and turn things off when we dont need them. There are others, like my neighbor who has aircon on in several rooms 24/7 and she has a bill in the $1000s eeek. We find the fan is enough. You should be fine once you get used to the weather.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MayoBean For This Useful Post:

Laines  (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree its all about acclimatising! Our bills for the quarter would be about $400, but ours were freakishly low compared to friends who would regularly get $1000 plus bills. I couldn't even imagine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Unfortunatey I'm one of those people who hasn't gotten used to the heat and humidity. I've been here 15 years now and I still can't stand it! The houses we live in are always stuffy and never catch the breeze despite the millions of windows. So yes our bill is around $1000-$1300 per quarter as we run aircon during the day and while we sleep. During the dry season our bill is heaps cheaper because It's so lovely and cool