+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gall bladder removed - recovery advice

So i got my gall bladder removed on wed after a hectic 4days of excruciating pain.
    It was infected & had a large stone in it along with what the surgeon described as 'rubbish'.

Im home now and finding the recovery hard so wondering if anyone can share their experiences post op.

Im still currently experiencing shoulder tip pain from the gas & my belly looks about 6mths preg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In two weeks time you will be fine, still very early days yet. Make sure you rest and don't overdo it.

I had complications from the surgery but I still mostly recovered ok, I just had a pain in my side which was still there 4 months later. My GP just dismissed it but my surgeon ordered a scan which showed they had nicked my pancreas which had leaked into a psuedo cyst. I had another major operation and was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you have it removed laparoscopically? I'm assuming so because you mentioned the gas. If so, you should be fine in a few days. Just take it easy.

The gas and bloating takes a few weeks to dissipate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it was laparoscopically.
    Felt like death yesterday & last night. A bit better today but still struggling majorally.
    2wks seems so far away at this point

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take the pain relief they give you and try and sleep as much as you can.

Have you got some movies or tv series to keep you occupied while you recuperate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, keep on top of your pain relief, even if you don't feel like you need it. I would recommend taking it regularly for at least another 4 days.

There's nothing you can do to make the shoulder tip pain dissipate faster, but a heat pack will help relieve it in the meantime. Don't have one? Make one by putting uncooked rice in a pillowcase and zapping in the microwave.

Keep your diet low fat for a few weeks to give your digestive system a while to adjust. It's been maybe 8 years since I had mine out, and I still have days where something like bacon and eggs won't agree with me. But you will learn what works for you.

But my best advice is to remember that you might only have a few little cuts on the outside, but inside it is still a big operation - give yourself time to recover.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think id better get hubby to download some shows for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive not been eating much as havent felt like it.
    Had a small bowl of soup for lunch and think that'll do me for quite a few more hours.

Had to get hubbys aunty who is a dr to write me a script for pain relief today as the hospital only prescribed 10pills but at a dosage of 2 every 4hrs so they only just lasted till this morning.
    Now have enough till i see my gp on tues morning.

Have terrible pain in my wrist from the canula's today too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing to add, I'm getting mine out hopefully soon (had a few bad attacks, and I also need a hernia repaired ). Just wanted to say I hope you get better soon

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out last year. I honestly struggled to get out of bed for the first week, I couldn't use my stomach muscles and I was hunched over like a little old woman! The gas pain in my tummy was horrible too, but I promise it will get better! Try to do little walks to get rid of some of the gas.