+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 year age gap - who has one? How is it?

I've just found out I'm pregnant with #2 which will give us a nearly 4 year age gap between our children if all goes well with this pregnancy. I had a 2nd trimester miscarriage last year and suffer terribly with morning sickness hence the larger gap. Who here has a 4 year gap and how have you found it. Would love to hear negatives as well as positives. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't quite have a 4 year age gap. The boys have a 3 year age gap which we planned and it is perfect. DS1 was toilet trained, sleeping in his big bed etc by the time DS2 was born. He was also heading off to 4yr kindy which meant I had the one on one time with DS2 which was important to me. DS1 was a big help with his little brother and could be quite involved with bathing and feeding. When baby#3 is born in September DS2 will be 3.5yrs and heading off to kindy so I expect to have a re run of the same. Having the larger age gap also means there will only be the 1 in daycare again when I go back to work after 12months off which is great from the fees point of view.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

bunkx  (28-03-2014),wrena  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I'm due in August with number two and will have a 4 year gap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kimberleygal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing, I'm hoping for a 3-4 year age gap :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are all quite close together but for a different view point I am 4 years younger than my older brother & 4 years older than my younger brother. My younger brother & I were/are very close. I am part of quite a big family (6) & my older siblings were born very close (4 in 4 years) so I think my mum & dad had a bit of a breather!
    Even though the others are close - so were my younger brother & I. 4 yrs is a great gap I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 4 years is great!!! My DD is 4 this year and is love to have a similar gap.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a 3 year age gap and I love it. Ds1 was completely toilet trained (day and night), sleeping in a bed, can articulate what we wants and he knows it's wrong to hurt his little brother and that he needed to wait for something if I was feeding.
    He was also able to get himself a drink, take himself to the loo or get something to eat if he wanted.
    I could leave him in the bath whilst I was drying and dressing bubs in the next room etc

Negatives
    I was well and truly out of the baby stage and baby proofing stage so it was harder to reframe my mind back into that.
    Had to do a big toy room clean up as older kids toys have lots of little pieces - I just went around with a big box and put the little pieces away.
    Lastly - he didn't have a daytime nap so that was hard when I was running on limited sleep. If I was really exhausted I chucked a movie on for him and had a lay down. I knew he would be happy until it finished.

He's 4 now, ds2 is 1. Ds1 is in kindy and I'm pregnant with #3. I'll have a 20month gap between #2 and #3 so will be interesting to see how that goes lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am about to have #2 in a few weeks. There will be a 4.5yr gap.
    At first I was worried about the larger gap but now I think it will be really good. DD is getting excited and suggesting names, I also think as she is already so independent will be an advantage.

My brother and I have a four yr gap and have always got along although I am closer to my brother who is 6 yrs older

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We planned a 4 year gap as we know 2 families with that gap and liked how it worked. We ended up with a 5.5 year gap though due to a couple of miscarriages.

Having DD so independent has been great. Needing to make baby work into school and extra-curricular commitments has made it harder to follow the baby's lead on routines etc. The hardest thing is little toys - DD's toys consist of about 90% choking hazards.... shiny, enticing choking hazards! I've lost count of how many sequins and stickers I've fished out of DS's mouth!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app