+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ear infection?

Can I have some advice on how to tell if bub has an ear infection? I'm not sure if I'm worrying over nothing or if I should try to get to a doc.

Both my 9 month old bubs have colds at the moment, have had for a week. One DD is swiping at her ear, not pulling at it, just swiping. It's mostly one ear, but sometimes both. She is far more miserable than usual but is eating well, sleeping well at night (but not day naps).

My other DD has just cut her third tooth and since the girls are identical twins I'm wondering if the swiping is to do with that (they teethed in the same week with their first teeth) and maybe my second DD is about to cut a top tooth too.

Doctors appointments are very hard to come by in our small town so it's hard to just get in for a reassuring check. Wondering if I should push for an appointment.

Are there any other signs of an ear infection?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were watching out for ear infections with our first as DH had ear problems when he was young.

We took him to the doctor with a suspected ear infection and it turned out to be just teething, then the first time he actually had an ear infection he presented with the same signs as his teething and we didn't know it was his ear until his drum burst and liquid came out his ear. Since then we had been able to pick it, but it also helped as he got older and could tell us that his ear was sore.

He always was irritable, yet extra clingy and lethargic, with a temp. Didn't sleep as well during the night either.

Do you or DH have a history of ear problems?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were irritable with temperatures

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, no history of ear problems in the family here. It's the babys' first cold so I wonder if it's the blocked ears that's strange to her sometimes. Would she have a temperature? None so far.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS's infections always started from a cold and the tubes getting blocked - always good to keep watch with the colds and ears.

If it gets bad enough she will definitely get a temp and she will just start crashing on you, sometimes it takes a few days for it to get bad to get a decent temp though - which is why it's so hard to differ from teething for us as the kids always get a raised temp when they are breaking through new teeth.

Unfortunately without one of those ear things to look inside you won't know for sure unless temp goes high and she starts to go lethargic or ear drum bursts...or she becomes super gifted and tells you what is going on at her age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    DS's infections always started from a cold and the tubes getting blocked - always good to keep watch with the colds and ears.

If it gets bad enough she will definitely get a temp and she will just start crashing on you, sometimes it takes a few days for it to get bad to get a decent temp though - which is why it's so hard to differ from teething for us as the kids always get a raised temp when they are breaking through new teeth.

Unfortunately without one of those ear things to look inside you won't know for sure unless temp goes high and she starts to go lethargic or ear drum bursts...or she becomes super gifted and tells you what is going on at her age.
    Exactly this ^^

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Ds has been doing this too. I suspected an ear infection but the gp cleared it saying could be teeth or blocked nose causing pain. He suggested using a nasal spray to help clearchis nose and eliminate any pressure in his ears. Could you try this? Since they have colds it might help??? Maybe???....

♥me & he = ds 17/9/13♥