+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anti depressants during pregnancy??

So when I found out I was pregnant I had to stop my anti depressant medication... im finding im not coping very well cause ive got a lot of crap going on at home and work... has anyone been on them while pregnant? Are there any that are safe to take? Im only 12 weeks and I just cant see me coping like this for another 6 months!!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't take them myself because I want diagnosed until after dd2 was born. But I have a few friends who have taken Zoloft during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. I believe there are others that are considered safe too but afaik that is the most popular. Please talk to your doctor, there's no need to suffer in like you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are anti depressants which are safe to take during pregnancy. It can be more unsafe to stop taking them for some people...good god if ever there's a time when it can feel hard to cope it's during pregnancy, and that's coming from someone who has mostly enjoyed being pregnant.

Anyhow, I have taken Effexor throughout two pregnancies now. I've found that GP's, on the whole, aren't terribly up to date with the role of antidepressants during pregnancy. I'd encourage you to speak with an obstetrician instead.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you're going through this. What state do you live in? In NSW we have Mothersafe, which is a service you can ring to find out if meds are safe during pregnancy & bf. They're great. There are definitely ADs that are safe during pregnancy. I was on Zoloft during my pregnancy as it was safe. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if I was to find one that was safe to take, would it mean the baby would have withdrawals after their born? because of the 'all of a sudden' stop for them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    So if I was to find one that was safe to take, would it mean the baby would have withdrawals after their born? because of the 'all of a sudden' stop for them?
    If you were to breastfeed then they would still get some through your milk. I'm not sure what would happen if you were to formula feed, that might be a question for the gp. Who is over seeing your care during this pregnancy? And who originally prescribed the meds you were taking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends upon the anti depressant you are on & how much is absorbed through the placenta. When I rang Mothersafe, they also told me that reactions to meds are often genetic, ie. if you have a bad reaction when you skip or stop meds then bub is more likely to have some sort of reaction if that makes sense? They don't call it withdrawal, just a reaction & it can just be a few days of restlessness. Like Gothel said, they will get some through breast milk if you choose to/are able to breast feed, which can lessen the reaction.
    I honestly believe though, that if you need an antidepressant then you are much better off taking it, rather than suffering through the entire pregnancy. For your sake & bub's sake. I found that at each trimester I had to increase my meds a little bit in order to cope. Has your ob/GP/midwife spoken to you about post partam? It's important to get your meds sorted now so that you have the plan & support in place once bub is born. Are you under the care of a perinatal psychiatrist? Please look after yourself, there is no need to suffer with anxiety or depression during pregnancy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ertgirl For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just reading the medical information sheet. The drugs mentioned above are a category C... ive been told thats a no no in pregnancy...??? My asthma prevention medication was a category C so they had to change me to something else...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    So when I found out I was pregnant I had to stop my anti depressant medication... im finding im not coping very well cause ive got a lot of crap going on at home and work... has anyone been on them while pregnant? Are there any that are safe to take? Im only 12 weeks and I just cant see me coping like this for another 6 months!!
    Go see your GP and get changed to ones that are safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a question of balance, and yes the drugs mentioned above are category c, but there are risks to both you and the baby if you have a depression relapse. I'm not sure that there are any category B or A antids available. I like this article from the Mayo Clinic (link below), it gives both sides of the arguement.

Please go see your gp. You don't HAVE to take ads if you are feeling rotten, maybe you can get a referral for counselling under the Mental Health Plan (medicare funded) but you owe it to yourself and your baby to make an informed decision, whatever you decide. It sucks, it's a rotten horrible illness but there is help and support systems out there for you, so make use of it!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20046420?pg=2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (29-03-2014)