+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    If it is commonly agreed that Vaccinated people either (a) don't contract the illness at all or (b) have a mild and harmless version of the illness thanks to the vaccine... What's the problem? If the vaccine does what it claims to why are you so worried about the risk from the unvaccinated?
    I'm worried about newborn babies, my elderly relatives, my relatives with lowered immune systems due to cancer etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep...this thread is getting silly, and I am getting annoyed. Goodbye.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 28-03-2014 at 09:26.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (28-03-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    My children recently had chicken pox while unvaccinated. They had a <10 spots each, a mild temp and a runny nose. I have seen plenty of local kids have a much worse case of them and I know they are vaccinated.
    3 of ours and my DH had it unvaccinated too (before it was on the schedule)
    My DSS had about 20 spots and wasn't too unwell. My dd and DSD however- they were covered. DSD had them up in her vagina and bottom, in her ears and throat. She had a high fever and was sick as a dog as well as being in terrible discomfort. DD had them everywhere too and couldn't help scratch a few, so had some get infected. She had a high temp and was really sick. DH was about 34 at the time and sick as a dog. Did you see the comment from a PP where an unvaccinated kid got them and now needs a liver transplant? Scary stuff.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It $hits me that housewives with too much time on their hands think they know better than people with medical degrees.
    I didnt do any research myself before delaying my childrens vaccinations, I had an appointment at my cities immunisation clinic so I'm guessing I was presented with the correct information.

People still have the right to informed consent. Thats why we have conscientious objectors forms, thats why they are required for enrollments at schools and childcare and for family assistance. Unless you avoid all of those things or can live without FA than it is pretty hard not to have one. Most of the families I know who do not vaccinate or who delay vaccinate do so with informed consent from people with medical degrees (aka thier doctors) it is still our legal right.

I will be very concerned when/if the day comes that they make vaccinations mandatory unless you have a medical condition. How will we know who is going to react to them and what will the consequenses be for those involved and the government?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

emily173  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Our medical system (hospitals) have come along way in 50 years and i really truely believe if my children where to contract one of these diseases our hospitals will have treatment.
    What a cavalier thing to say! Sure our drs and medicine have come a long way in 50 years. And yes. . they do treat some of these diseases successfully in hospital these days. But they also. . sadly don't. Babies still die from WC. People are still left with permanent disabilities due to complications from measles.
    I doubt you would take it so nonchalantly if you were sitting by the bedside of your child in intensive care. . unable to cuddle them. .. or help them. . and watching them struggle to breathe. . to live. Wondering if you would get to take your child home to live a normal life.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Lottiemum  (28-03-2014),Mekoda  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),~Marigold~  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    That's not really answering the question though. If vaccines make the disease harmless, contracting them would be no bigger annoyance/unpleasantness than a cold or gastro. So why the big witch hunt?
    Because newborn babies are most at risk of catching whooping cough from your unvaxxed kids. Newborns aren't fully vaccinated in the first few months. Go watch a video of a newborn with whooping cough.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And showing videos of newborn babies suffering with whooping cough isnt a scare tactic??? Its the biggest scare tactic of the all. I have to agree with Emily173, my problem is we are old to avoid chemicals, cheese and pre-made salads (really) during pregnancy but as soon as the baby come out we have to pump them full of who knows what 'just in case' they come into contact with this disease. Please tell me what one day old baby is going to share needles or have unprotected s3x to contract hep b?? I am a firm believer in treating illness when needed. i mean i wouldnt take panadol everyday just in case i was to get a head ache or hurt myself. Or wear cases on my legs just in case i was to break a bone. Our medical system (hospitals) have come along way in 50 years and i really truely believe if my children where to contract one of these diseases our hospitals will have treatment.
    Hep b can be contracted through saliva and blood. Young kids at daycare can slobber all over each other slobbery toys and share germs all the time etc. Hep b can also be caught from the mother during child birth it is the more contagious/easier to catch then hep c and it only takes one child to have it to easily spread to others if un vaxxed. Not to mention other adults who may not know they have it etc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was shocked to learn that I live in an area that hasn't got the greatest vax rates (around the low 80% mark I think), despite being an "affluent" inner city area.

We need to pick a school for DD for 2016 and there are several state schools to choose from, I wonder if schools can tell me the percentage of students who are fully vaccinated? I don't want DD starting prep with a bunch of germ carriers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only reason people can afford NOT to vaccinate is because the majority of parents DO. Of course there are parents who delay because of past reactions or have a family history of severe reactions to vaccines. I think this is totally valid in those circumstances.

This topic really angers me because there are thousands of parents in other countries who would walk for 2 days with a baby on their back, for the chance to have their child vaccinated against preventable diseases.

I get SO sick of people saying that things like chicken pox, whooping cough and measles are just minor illnesses. I have a friend who works in the children's ward and she see's how terrifying it is for a parent with a small baby struggling to breathe from whooping cough or extremely ill from measles. It might not be common to get a bad case of these diseases but they are PREVENTABLE.

I also agree with PP's that Dr Google is no the go-to and everyone is an expert and the doctors who study for years know nothing.

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),Anjalee  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Chippa  (28-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-03-2014),Mekoda  (28-03-2014),mummybynature  (28-03-2014),Purple Lily  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014),~Marigold~  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our medical system (hospitals) have come along way in 50 years and i really truely believe if my children where to contract one of these diseases our hospitals will have treatment.
    What an ill-informed comment. I work in health with people who live with long-term disability resulting from VPDs.

Yes, our medical systems have come a long way. This progress has involved vaccines that significantly reduce the likelihood of getting a disease, and the severity of the disease if it is contracted.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),~Marigold~  (28-03-2014)