+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 310
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    I'm posting this knowing that pro-vax people are going to pass judgement but here goes...
    I don't want my children vaccinated. I have done extensive reading in both sides of the vaccine world and have made a decision that I don't want my children vaccinated. The main reason is that I think the risk of contracting several diseases in infancy (like polio or tetanus) are very low, and not enough to warrant medicating a child so young. I also would like to point out that vaccination does not mean immunity, many vaccinated children still contract the illness. I think this is a choice and I feel like being pro or anti vax is becoming a cult - where pro vax people set out to 'educate' and marginalise people who don't share their faith in vaccines.
    They had a lady on sunrise yesterday whose daughter had been immunised again measles and caught the disease from another person. The doctors told the mum if she hadn't have vaccinated her child, she would be dead. So yes people may still get the disease, but it is a much more mild version.
    Last edited by Wally90; 28-03-2014 at 08:34.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

    MINIRoo  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

  3. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    I'm posting this knowing that pro-vax people are going to pass judgement but here goes...
    I don't want my children vaccinated. I have done extensive reading in both sides of the vaccine world and have made a decision that I don't want my children vaccinated. The main reason is that I think the risk of contracting several diseases in infancy (like polio or tetanus) are very low, and not enough to warrant medicating a child so young. I also would like to point out that vaccination does not mean immunity, many vaccinated children still contract the illness. I think this is a choice and I feel like being pro or anti vax is becoming a cult - where pro vax people set out to 'educate' and marginalise people who don't share their faith in vaccines.
    There is a fatal error to your argument. You believe there are "sides" are really, there aren't.
    Yes, deciding whether or not to vaccinate is a decision, I wouldn't have it any other way personally (though part of me feels differently, I will admit) but there are facts and there is misinformation. You and I , emily173, we can access the exact same information here on the net. And believe me, I've read a lot of it. I've read studies, journal articles, medical reports, blogs, websites both govt and private. I'm not a doctor. I'm lucky to know some pretty highly educated folks who've helped me to learn how to understand what I'm reading. The facts are there for anyone to see though:

    Vaccines work. Vaccines are safe and effective for the vast majority of people. Vaccines have been the single most useful and effective tool in disease prevention that the world has EVER seen. Not hand washing, not organic food, not vitamin supplements- vaccines. This is fact, well supported by scientific evidence. We also acknowledge there is a risk but that it is very minimal.

    It's not a cult. Vaccines are not a religious choice. If you choose not to vaccinate your children, that is certainly your choice. You might feel people like me are trying to marginalise you and your family. The simple fact is that not vaccinating has more than one consequence. Not only are your children much more likely to contact a vax preventable illness, there is bound to be social consequences. When my youngest was a baby and too young to vax I insisted everyone have the WC vax before coming into contact. I've read too many case studies of parents losing their babies to WC. So if you and I were friends, no way would your family have been welcome to visit. This is not to "marginalise" you- this is to protect my family. Some VPDs are so highly contagious- take measles for example- if 10 unvaxxed people are exposed to it, at least 9 of them will contract it. By exposed, I mean they are in the same room, you know, like a dr's waiting room? And they are often contagious before the most obvious measles symptoms kick in- so suffering the symptoms of a terrible cold.

    There's no other "side". There are those that vaccinate and those that don't. Some of those that don't do so in the belief that they can piggyback off the herd immunity provided by others or that the risk of catching the disease is low or (even worse/more dangerous imo) in the belief that these diseases "aren't that bad".
    The first two- these are coming to an end in the western world. People aren't vaccinating, herd immunity is lowering, the free ride is over and these diseases are coming back and often in epidemic proportions.
    The last is just frankly wrong. One person may have a mild dose of measles or WC- the person they pass it on to could suffer death or permanent disability. Yet many sites online and questionable books say otherwise.
    If you have made up your mind to believe such sources over peer reviewed evidence then I know from experience that I can't say anything to change your mind. If you are open to learning more or want some links on anything I've said here I'm happy to pass them on to you.

  4. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),atomicmama  (30-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),bel2466  (28-03-2014),btmacxxx  (28-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (28-03-2014),Chippa  (28-03-2014),delirium  (28-03-2014),HazTechDad  (30-03-2014),Lennie  (28-03-2014),Lillaa  (29-03-2014),Lottiemum  (28-03-2014),MINIRoo  (28-03-2014),mummybynature  (28-03-2014),Peebs  (28-03-2014),Purple Lily  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),RastaMouse  (28-03-2014),Renn  (28-03-2014),Silver flute  (30-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),Tamtam  (28-03-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

  5. #53
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mortlake, VIC
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked
    831
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I know it's extreme to some but unless someone has medical reasons not to vac I think it should be mandatory

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),Gentoo  (28-03-2014),MummaOJ  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),Tamtam  (28-03-2014)

  7. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It $hits me that housewives with too much time on their hands think they know better than people with medical degrees.

  8. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),atomicmama  (30-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),BigRedV  (28-03-2014),btmacxxx  (28-03-2014),Bubintummy  (28-03-2014),Busy-Bee  (28-03-2014),cheekychook  (28-03-2014),Chippa  (28-03-2014),Clementine Grace  (28-03-2014),delirium  (28-03-2014),gnomesy  (03-04-2014),goldencrumble  (31-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-03-2014),HollyGolightly81  (29-03-2014),Jakois  (28-03-2014),just her chameleon  (28-03-2014),kezanazz  (29-03-2014),LaDiDah  (28-03-2014),Lennie  (28-03-2014),Lottiemum  (28-03-2014),MeeG  (28-03-2014),MINIRoo  (28-03-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-03-2014),Purple Lily  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (29-03-2014),Silver flute  (30-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),TableDancer  (28-03-2014),Tamtam  (28-03-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

  9. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    8
    Reviews
    0
    I'm not saying that vaccines are worthless. I'm not blanket anti vax either. I think we are relying too heavily on the miracle cure and are perpetuating misinformation about the efficity of vaccines in this way 'Only Vaccinated children are safe and secure, all else will likely contract and die of these illnesses' which is not true at all. Tetanus vaccination at 2 months - before a child can properly grasp an object, we're mitigating the risk that they will fall over outside and contract Tetanus from a wound. Really? 2 months old? We spend the whole pregnancy avoiding chemicals, pesticides and soft cheese to avoid potential risks... Then we get to the child's birth and immediately jab them with a vaccine. I'm not going to try and change your mind if you're set on vaccinating. You know what's best for your child. But respect my choices and my right to say no to medication because there is a risk it will harm my children.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emily173 For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (28-03-2014),lineyb73  (28-03-2014),loislane2010  (28-03-2014)

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked
    1,571
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Maybe some ads on tv like they do for smoking and drink driving etc. But for VPDs!

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes! I don't understand why they don't - they do it for HIV so surely this is a great solution?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mortlake, VIC
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked
    831
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Emily sorry I can't respect your choice when your choice is risking my child. Your choice is relying on people that vax but don't contribute anything yourself. Why should we risk our children so you can sit back and do nothing?

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-03-2014),Gentoo  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014)

  14. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    I'm not saying that vaccines are worthless. I'm not blanket anti vax either. I think we are relying too heavily on the miracle cure and are perpetuating misinformation about the efficity of vaccines in this way 'Only Vaccinated children are safe and secure, all else will likely contract and die of these illnesses' which is not true at all. Tetanus vaccination at 2 months - before a child can properly grasp an object, we're mitigating the risk that they will fall over outside and contract Tetanus from a wound. Really? 2 months old? We spend the whole pregnancy avoiding chemicals, pesticides and soft cheese to avoid potential risks... Then we get to the child's birth and immediately jab them with a vaccine. I'm not going to try and change your mind if you're set on vaccinating. You know what's best for your child. But respect my choices and my right to say no to medication because there is a risk it will harm my children.
    I do respect your right- what I was saying is that you have to understand the consequences. Not only the risk of disease but the social consequences. It's not about marginalising you for your choices. It's about protecting our own children. I can understand what you're saying re tetanus. But that vaccine is combined with the one for pertussis. Pertussis can absolutely be fatal and can absolutely be contracted by a two month old. You have the right to say no because of the risk- but the fact is, the risk from the wild virus is greater. I could ask how you'd feel if your child got a VPD but I'm not really interested in appealing to your emotions- that's something the anti vax groups specialise in- cue pic of tiny baby, massive needles and poison labels. If you want links to studies, if you want to talk about what you've read that concerns you, I'm happy to pass on info, links, studies etc.
    No vaccine is 100% effective, I said that earlier. But even 85-95% effective is better than no protection at all in my book.

  15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),atomicmama  (30-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),HazTechDad  (30-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),Wally90  (28-03-2014)

  16. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,916
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked
    2,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It ****s me too, Vic Park. Took me 7 years to get my Medical Degree. And I did it in a world before Google...imagine that!

    Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

  17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),atomicmama  (30-03-2014),Atropos  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Bubintummy  (28-03-2014),Chippa  (28-03-2014),cluckcluck  (28-03-2014),HollyGolightly81  (29-03-2014),MINIRoo  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),Renn  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

  18. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    And I did it in a world before Google...imagine that!

    Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Showing your age there Nanna!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Christmas sides
    By clucky_duck in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-12-2013, 22:37
  2. Could DS be colour blind??
    By loislane2010 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-07-2013, 21:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!