+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.
    Yes, I agree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This is off topic but really? You'd never take your children to a 3rd world country?
    Yeah my jaw kinda hit the ground when I read that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A fellow hubber posted this on FB this morning.

"A child's right to health is greater than that of the parent to make the wrong choice" - love that quote

Still not sure where I stand on making vaccinating compulsory as I believe people should have a right to believe whatever they want. Same as a lot of people on here have (and have done) the right to tell me my faith in God is ridiculous. Still nutting through this one in my own head.

Would love to know what others thought of this article - @Atropos @beebs @VicPark and anyone else.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...accine-mandate

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (29-03-2014),JR03  (29-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (30-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it makes you feel better - I have 4 kids all fully vaxxed, two almost never get sick and two get sick all the time. I was fully breastfed and not fully vaxxed - and my health is shocking. It is all down to genetics, I never believe anyone who try and make out that this or that reasons is the reason their kids are so healthy. Nope - it their bleeding genes!!

Quote Originally Posted by javic View Post
    I started the thread because I'm on the fence, you can check back on my replies and "thanks" and you'll probably notice I'm a bit ambivalent!

Someone asked where the anti vax types get their info - there are books I've heard mentioned and also I'm sure lots of anecdotal accounts on the Internet. I actually saw one person post the most insane interview with an ex-pharmaceutical employee who was in vaccine production and talked about this mass cover up - but how he couldn't give his name or they'd come after him. It was just paranoid, insane ramblings - but people went for it! There are people who fall for that stuff.

I admit, I do get influenced by the anecdotal "my child had a vaccine and never recovered". Or "my child is unvaccinated and has never been sick in 5 years, not even a runny nose". Those things get me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

javic  (29-03-2014),MeeG  (30-03-2014),Wally90  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't agree with mandatory vaccination at this point- but you can ask me again in a few years, as I've a feeling these outbreaks are going to get way worse and I may feel differently then.

I believe once you start enforcing vaccinations, then where does it end, can they then start enforcing other kinds of medicines, or medical procedures? It just doesn't sit well with me.

It think this part of the article is really interesting and SO obvious that is what is happening the world over - vaccines are a victim of their own success. Sigh.

"Since Croatia made vaccinations universal in 1999 diphtheria, whooping cough and measles have disappeared entirely and tuberculosis has decreased by 93%, tetanus by 97% and hepatitis B by 65%.

Possibly because of this success, however, Croatia has experienced substantial resistance to what was once an uncontroversial policy. Having achieved universal vaccination for a decade (presumably excluding cases where there was a valid medical reason) 28 children went unvaccinated in 2012, according to official records, and in 2013 this climbed to 143. While these numbers are not enough to generate the sorts of outbreaks seen in the US and UK as a result of campaigns by anti-vax lobbyists, the direction is clear."

Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    A fellow hubber posted this on FB this morning.

"A child's right to health is greater than that of the parent to make the wrong choice" - love that quote

Still not sure where I stand on making vaccinating compulsory as I believe people should have a right to believe whatever they want. Same as a lot of people on here have (and have done) the right to tell me my faith in God is ridiculous. Still nutting through this one in my own head.

Would love to know what others thought of this article - @Atropos @beebs @VicPark and anyone else.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...accine-mandate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.
    These people should all move to the same town, start a school for their kids and keep away from the sensible people who vaccinate!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Tried to quote you beebs but bubhub is playing funny buggers lol.

I have 3 vaxed kids (DS3 is only 9 months but is up to date), DS1 rarely geys sick, his immune system is amazing. DS2's was delayed vax and he has always been sick, he catches absolutely everything there is around.

DS3 had a patch of 2 months where he was sick the whole time but apart from that has been great. I get sick all the time, DH doesnt. It really is the luck of the draw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-03-2014),javic  (29-03-2014),zooey  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The hep b at birth can be delayed but it it to do with maternal transmission, not sex and needle sharing for baby. Jeez.
    I've always been mystified by people saying Hep B is given to newborns to avoid maternal transmission. Pregnant women in Australia are routinely screened for Hep B, and yet Hep B is given regardless of status.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but isn't Hep B given another 3 times in the schedule and doesn't it only take 3 doses to gain immunity? Why the random newborn dose then?

Maybe the doctors and other experts can clarify this for me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    I've always been mystified by people saying Hep B is given to newborns to avoid maternal transmission. Pregnant women in Australia are routinely screened for Hep B, and yet Hep B is given regardless of status.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but isn't Hep B given another 3 times in the schedule and doesn't it only take 3 doses to gain immunity? Why the random newborn dose then?

Because by having the dose at birth they are protected by 6 months rather than 12 months old

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post

Not an expert, but my midwife told me that it's also done as a PC move, as there are certain at-risk sections of the community (think disease-ridden, unhygienic homes, many family members in one house etc) so it's possible that babies would be at risk as soon as they went home despite maternal screening. And it's easier and cheaper to routinely immunize than to expect CPS to identify at-risk households iykwim. Not sure how accurate that is but it's what I was told.