+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 303
  1. #191
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Except those awful articles that come out where anti fax parents kids get sick and suffer terrible consequences and the parents say things like "please vaccinated, I was wrong and look what happened".

    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    That's an interesting comparison! I get cranky when women say they aren't feminists because to me that says they don't know what it means. It's not some extremist view- it's believing in equality for women and men. I guess some women may only come to feminism after being disadvantaged for their gender.
    I've not known and anti-vax folks who've had a child hit badly with a VPD so I can't be sure what they'd do. I've seen more than one on the fb page of the AVsN who claim their kids had measles/WC/rotavirus etc and it was super mild because they "drank raw milk/used homeopathy/high doses of vit c/etc" but it's hard to know if they even really had the illness iykwim because some of these people don't even seek medical attention- it's self diagnoses and treatment by placebo.

  2. #192
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I will be getting my 4 boys done. And they aren't even at risk of cervical cancer - this is because I believe vaccines require a community mindedness to keep rates high and diseases at bay.

    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Actually I do have a question.... All the non vaxxes or even people who a pro... Did u get the cervical cancer immunisation if not y and if u have a teenage child did u let them get it?

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (29-03-2014),Renn  (29-03-2014)

  4. #193
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    both because it hasnt been around long enough to see the long term effects of the vaccine.
    Before you say 'what about the vaccines that HAVE been around a long time'. Thats not what i have an issue with, its all the NEW vaccines that are mixed with the old ones. If i could get whopping cough, MMR, diptheria and polio ON THEIR OWN i would gladly vaccinate my kids. The chicken pox, Pneumococcal, Rotavirus, Hib have not been around long enough to see any LONG term effects IMO.
    Up until fairly recently you could get MMR on it's own. It's only been since July 1 last year that it was mmrv. Did your kids have the MMR vax then?
    The HPV vax has been around for a lot longer than many realise. It's been in development for decades. Did you know they actually stopped the big trial of it on ethical grounds? True story. It works so well that it was deemed unethical to let those getting the placebo continue to not receive the benefits of the actual vaccine.
    Last edited by Atropos; 29-03-2014 at 11:08.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Beatnik  (29-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014)

  6. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I've not had the HPV vax personally but my niece has and I paid for DS1 to have it. I believe it's on the schedule for teen boys now but I may be wrong. Either way DS2 will get it when he is at the appropriate age.

    I haven't done it because I thought there was no point once sexually active? Perhaps I'm misinformed?
    Still worth it IMo. From the CDC-
    Will sexually active females benefit from the vaccine?
    Ideally females should get the vaccine before they become sexually active and exposed to HPV. Females who are sexually active may also benefit from vaccination, but they may get less benefit. This is because they may have already been exposed to one or more of the HPV types targeted by the vaccines. However, few sexually active young women are infected with all HPV types prevented by the vaccines, so most young women could still get protection by getting vaccinated.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    btmacxxx  (29-03-2014),Rutabaga  (15-04-2014)

  8. #195
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post

    ....

    I'd never go to a 3rd world country myself let alone with my children regardless of if they were vaccinated or not.
    This is off topic but really? You'd never take your children to a 3rd world country?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (29-03-2014)

  10. #196
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    I started the thread because I'm on the fence, you can check back on my replies and "thanks" and you'll probably notice I'm a bit ambivalent!

    Someone asked where the anti vax types get their info - there are books I've heard mentioned and also I'm sure lots of anecdotal accounts on the Internet. I actually saw one person post the most insane interview with an ex-pharmaceutical employee who was in vaccine production and talked about this mass cover up - but how he couldn't give his name or they'd come after him. It was just paranoid, insane ramblings - but people went for it! There are people who fall for that stuff.

    I admit, I do get influenced by the anecdotal "my child had a vaccine and never recovered". Or "my child is unvaccinated and has never been sick in 5 years, not even a runny nose". Those things get me.

  11. #197
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    Beebs, what articles about in vaxxed getting sick?

    and yes, this thread rely is to serve those who are unsure, lest more people be swayed by the anti-vaxxes.

    Emily, it's fair enough to say "I don't know what I'd do in that situation" but if everyone here gave up vaxxing and there was an epidemic, would you change your mind then, or are you not sure what you would do?

  12. #198
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,730
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked
    1,961
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will be getting my 4 boys done. And they aren't even at risk of cervical cancer - this is because I believe vaccines require a community mindedness to keep rates high and diseases at bay.
    So nice to hear this view voiced - it seems to be disconcertingly rare. It's also worth adding that the vaccine reduces the rates of some penile, anal and throat cancers - all of which can affect men.

    Edit: well obviously penile cancers can affect men :P

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (29-03-2014),beebs  (29-03-2014),smallpotatoes  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

  14. #199
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (29-03-2014),Renn  (29-03-2014)

  16. #200
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,730
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked
    1,961
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.
    I definitely think this is the case. There's some aspect of cultural belonging to refusing or "selectively" vaccinating.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (29-03-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Christmas sides
    By clucky_duck in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-12-2013, 22:37
  2. Could DS be colour blind??
    By loislane2010 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-07-2013, 21:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!