+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Except those awful articles that come out where anti fax parents kids get sick and suffer terrible consequences and the parents say things like "please vaccinated, I was wrong and look what happened".

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    That's an interesting comparison! I get cranky when women say they aren't feminists because to me that says they don't know what it means. It's not some extremist view- it's believing in equality for women and men. I guess some women may only come to feminism after being disadvantaged for their gender.
    I've not known and anti-vax folks who've had a child hit badly with a VPD so I can't be sure what they'd do. I've seen more than one on the fb page of the AVsN who claim their kids had measles/WC/rotavirus etc and it was super mild because they "drank raw milk/used homeopathy/high doses of vit c/etc" but it's hard to know if they even really had the illness iykwim because some of these people don't even seek medical attention- it's self diagnoses and treatment by placebo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I will be getting my 4 boys done. And they aren't even at risk of cervical cancer - this is because I believe vaccines require a community mindedness to keep rates high and diseases at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Actually I do have a question.... All the non vaxxes or even people who a pro... Did u get the cervical cancer immunisation if not y and if u have a teenage child did u let them get it?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-03-2014),Renn  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    both because it hasnt been around long enough to see the long term effects of the vaccine.
    Before you say 'what about the vaccines that HAVE been around a long time'. Thats not what i have an issue with, its all the NEW vaccines that are mixed with the old ones. If i could get whopping cough, MMR, diptheria and polio ON THEIR OWN i would gladly vaccinate my kids. The chicken pox, Pneumococcal, Rotavirus, Hib have not been around long enough to see any LONG term effects IMO.
    Up until fairly recently you could get MMR on it's own. It's only been since July 1 last year that it was mmrv. Did your kids have the MMR vax then?
    The HPV vax has been around for a lot longer than many realise. It's been in development for decades. Did you know they actually stopped the big trial of it on ethical grounds? True story. It works so well that it was deemed unethical to let those getting the placebo continue to not receive the benefits of the actual vaccine.
    Last edited by Atropos; 29-03-2014 at 11:08.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (29-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I've not had the HPV vax personally but my niece has and I paid for DS1 to have it. I believe it's on the schedule for teen boys now but I may be wrong. Either way DS2 will get it when he is at the appropriate age.

I haven't done it because I thought there was no point once sexually active? Perhaps I'm misinformed?
    Still worth it IMo. From the CDC-
    Will sexually active females benefit from the vaccine?
    Ideally females should get the vaccine before they become sexually active and exposed to HPV. Females who are sexually active may also benefit from vaccination, but they may get less benefit. This is because they may have already been exposed to one or more of the HPV types targeted by the vaccines. However, few sexually active young women are infected with all HPV types prevented by the vaccines, so most young women could still get protection by getting vaccinated.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (29-03-2014),Rutabaga  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post

I'd never go to a 3rd world country myself let alone with my children regardless of if they were vaccinated or not.
    This is off topic but really? You'd never take your children to a 3rd world country?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started the thread because I'm on the fence, you can check back on my replies and "thanks" and you'll probably notice I'm a bit ambivalent!

Someone asked where the anti vax types get their info - there are books I've heard mentioned and also I'm sure lots of anecdotal accounts on the Internet. I actually saw one person post the most insane interview with an ex-pharmaceutical employee who was in vaccine production and talked about this mass cover up - but how he couldn't give his name or they'd come after him. It was just paranoid, insane ramblings - but people went for it! There are people who fall for that stuff.

I admit, I do get influenced by the anecdotal "my child had a vaccine and never recovered". Or "my child is unvaccinated and has never been sick in 5 years, not even a runny nose". Those things get me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beebs, what articles about in vaxxed getting sick?

and yes, this thread rely is to serve those who are unsure, lest more people be swayed by the anti-vaxxes.

Emily, it's fair enough to say "I don't know what I'd do in that situation" but if everyone here gave up vaxxing and there was an epidemic, would you change your mind then, or are you not sure what you would do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will be getting my 4 boys done. And they aren't even at risk of cervical cancer - this is because I believe vaccines require a community mindedness to keep rates high and diseases at bay.
    So nice to hear this view voiced - it seems to be disconcertingly rare. It's also worth adding that the vaccine reduces the rates of some penile, anal and throat cancers - all of which can affect men.

Edit: well obviously penile cancers can affect men :P

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-03-2014),beebs  (29-03-2014),smallpotatoes  (29-03-2014),~Marigold~  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-03-2014),Renn  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'd take a punt and say in some circles people are influenced by what friends do and to some extent not vaccinating is seen as trendy or a way of identifying with a cultural subset or group.
    I definitely think this is the case. There's some aspect of cultural belonging to refusing or "selectively" vaccinating.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-03-2014)