+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Apparently neonatal tetanus is a thing! Babies can contract tetanus from an unhealed cord stump and it is responsible for 14% of all neonatal deaths.

Sure, not really a risk in a developed country, but I guess shows that the vaccination schedule is not as random as can initially appear and is (gasp!!!) grounded in evidence.

Neonatal tetanus[edit]

Main article: Neonatal tetanus
    Neonatal tetanus is a form of generalized tetanus that occurs in newborns. Infants who have not acquired passive immunity because the mother has never been immunized are at risk. It usually occurs through infection of the unhealed umbilical stump, particularly when the stump is cut with a non-sterile instrument. As of 1998 neonatal tetanus was common in many developing countries and was responsible for about 14% (215,000) of all neonatal deaths[7] In 2010 the worldwide death toll was 58,000 newborns. As the result of a public health campaign, the death toll from neonatal tetanus was reduced by 90% between 1990 and 2010, and by 2013 the disease had been largely eliminated from all but 25 countries.[8] Neonatal tetanus is rare in developed countries.
    (from Wiki)
    Quite right. It is very rare here though, yes. I personally wouldn't risk it. It's truly horrendous disease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    I think we are relying too heavily on the miracle cure and are perpetuating misinformation about the efficity of vaccines in this way 'Only Vaccinated children are safe and secure, all else will likely contract and die of these illnesses' which is not true at all.
    This is just so untrue, your child is safe, here in Australia - well, for now anyway, but as evidence shows this will not be the case forever, especially with vax rates dropping. But the same cannot be said for places where vaccinations are not available. The proof is in the pudding. Your child safe here because vaccines are safe and effective.

I am like Atropos - I advocate for a choice - I don't think we should be forcing vaccinations on people. But I can't respect your choice, sorry, I just can't and I'm not going to pussy foot around and lie about it.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-03-2014),Chippa  (29-03-2014),VicPark  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have posted on these before I wasn't going to but here goes:

My first born had a reaction to his 6 month needles. He developed a tumor about half the size of a golf ball. I had an agonising wait to see if he had cancer (he didn't thank god)

I had my daughter 8 months ago and you bet your a$$ I had her immunised. Pro vaxers are not denying any risk its about weighing up the risk.

I noticed the pro vaxers on here when challenged speak of communities most vulnerable where anti vaxers only argument is 'their children' anti vaxers are selfish - sorry but it is the truth.

If I came across a legitimate study that showed a link between vaccinations and something more serious than absolutely I would reconsider my stance but a single report from some shonky witch doctor in the UK compared to numerous medical professionals is a no brainer for me.

I once read a report that potatoes caused cancer- doesn't mean I have banned potatoes on my house....

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Boobycino  (01-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (28-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),RastaMouse  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),VicPark  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For someone who claims they have researched this extensively you certainly don't seem to know much about VPDs. When herd immunity drops and the diseases make a come back - which is exactly what they are doing, then people who can't be vaxxed are put at risk, immune compromised people, people with allergies to componenets in the vaccines and young babies etc. Also some people don't hold onto immunity - that includes wild virus infection and vaccinations - so even though someone thinks that they are fully protected they may not be. There are a few people on here who can't hold rubella immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    That's not really answering the question though. If vaccines make the disease harmless, contracting them would be no bigger annoyance/unpleasantness than a cold or gastro. So why the big witch hunt?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),Atropos  (28-03-2014),VicPark  (29-03-2014)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    For someone who claims they have researched this extensively you certainly don't seem to know much about VPDs. When herd immunity drops and the diseases make a come back - which is exactly what they are doing, then people who can't be vaxxed are put at risk, immune compromised people, people with allergies to componenets in the vaccines and young babies etc. Also some people don't hold onto immunity - that includes wild virus infection and vaccinations - so even though someone thinks that they are fully protected they may not be. There are a few people on here who can't hold rubella immunity.
    That's me.
    I don't hold rubella immunity. I have zilch, zero. Despite being immunised after BOTH pregnancies (4 yrs ago and 1 yr ago)
    Low and behold my antibody bloods this pregnancy showed nada rubella antibodies.
    So yes I rely heavily on EVERYONE vaxing against it!!

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-03-2014),HeavenBlue  (28-03-2014),laray  (30-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    A Our medical system (hospitals) have come along way in 50 years and i really truely believe if my children where to contract one of these diseases our hospitals will have treatment.
    This just proves that you don't know much vaccine preventable diseases and related compications, and yet you are making decisions regarding other people's health? I am all for choice, but jeez - I just wish was an *informed* choice.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),Atropos  (28-03-2014),Bubintummy  (28-03-2014),HeavenBlue  (28-03-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-03-2014),RastaMouse  (28-03-2014),VicPark  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by javic View Post
    Here is a link to some results of the study - like I said, not sure if it's at all legit.

http://www.vaccineinjury.info/vaccin...illnesses.html

I did like some pro-vax posts I'm sure!

I do get upset about healthy anti-vax types free riding on others. I have no issue with those that have good reason to avoid vax. It ****es me off most when people deny that vaccines work and use that as their reasoning. At least if they have the balls to say "I'm just taking a free ride" then I can respect that. But most anti vaxxes won't. They don't have the courage.

It winds me up too when anti vax mums boast how healthy their child is. That really upsets me.
    Sorry - but that is not a study. Not legit, not even peer reviewed -it is nothing more than a biased opinion piece. You will find some peer reviewed articles showing a correlation of vaccines and Autism - I think there are about 10 - there are 4000+ showing that there is no link. The body of evidence showing that vaccine are safe, effective and there is no link with allergies, autoimmune disease and autism is just massive. If you are interested in this subject you need to find unbiased research, so start with medical journals etc

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-03-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-03-2014),RastaMouse  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think yes, some anti vaxxers do believe the pharma companies are delivering dangerous 'poisonous' chemicals to make money, and that the govts are all in on it... which makes zero sense on several levels that I can't be bothered getting into lol
    I use to work in the 'specific govt dept' & when I hear people rant about it being a conspiracy theory I just want to bang my head continuously against a brick wall! It couldn't be any further from the truth & I get exhausted trying to explain it.

It's also amazing how many people think this & I use to get attacked by 'anti vaxxers' when I told people where I worked. This even happened when I was doing internal training by another department employee.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A good time to bring this out, I think it helps to actually see where the diseases are and how widespread. Notice that there has been a cluster outbreak of mumps here - not to mention Europe and America.

http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_V...index.html#map

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),Renn  (28-03-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Pro vaxers are not denying any risk its about weighing up the risk.
    As a non vaccinator/delayed vaccinator I have never denied that vaccinations work. My risk assessment just lead me to believe that we were better off not vaccinating/delaying. That maybe not be what you would decide but I will always do what I believe is best for my family.

I am quiet offended by this declaring that people that dont vaccinate are selfish. Are women who dont want to breastfeed selfish? What about those who CIO? Seems to be perfectly ok to call non vaccinators here on bubhub selfish but it wouldnt be tolerated in any other pareting choice. Not cool in my opinion.