+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What gets me about this, is that vaccinations are highly recommended by medical science for a reason. If your "research" shows otherwise, then why do you think they recommend them?

Does everybody who's anti-vax really believe in conspiracy theories, that they understand biology better than the professionals, or that the doctors etc. just don't give a crap about peoples' health?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Blessedwith3boys  (28-03-2014),javic  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Our medical system (hospitals) have come along way in 50 years and i really truely believe if my children where to contract one of these diseases our hospitals will have treatment.
    This comment has just proven to me that you are actually incredibly uneducated in regards to VPD's. And you have infact not made an informed choice. I work in a hospital and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt this is not true. People DO die of VPD's, they are permanently disabled, sure they may just be really really sick and recover, but they also may not.

There is an adult man in the ICU where I work who is dying of Tetanus. He is a migrant and comes from a country who do not have a vaccination program, hence he is unvaccinated.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),Blessedwith3boys  (28-03-2014),lilypily  (28-03-2014),Mekoda  (28-03-2014),peanutmonkey  (28-03-2014),PomPoms  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),RastaMouse  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014),Starfish30  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    This comment has just proven to me that you are actually incredibly uneducated in regards to VPD's. And you have infact not made an informed choice. I work in a hospital and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt this is not true. People DO die of VPD's, they are permanently disabled, sure they may just be really really sick and recover, but they also may not.

There is an adult man in the ICU where I work who is dying of Tetanus. He is a migrant and comes from a country who do not have a vaccination program, hence he is unvaccinated.
    God, that poor man. I knew a customer many years ago who contracted it. It took decades off him and he died not long after, in part due to how weak it left him. It's a horrifying illness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought......vaxxing gives us the best chance or eradicating a VPD.

By not vaxxing are we not giving these VPDs a chance to mutate to become a different strain that requires new research and development of a new vaccine or totally resistant to vaccine at all. Maybe someone more learned than myself can answer.

A quick search has thrown up that there may already be a possibility of Measles becoming resistant to the current vaccine. Is this what Anti-Vaxxers want? A new super strain of a VPD??

It scares the hell out of me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINIRoo For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (28-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-03-2014),zooey  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a link to some results of the study - like I said, not sure if it's at all legit.

http://www.vaccineinjury.info/vaccin...illnesses.html

I did like some pro-vax posts I'm sure!

I do get upset about healthy anti-vax types free riding on others. I have no issue with those that have good reason to avoid vax. It ****es me off most when people deny that vaccines work and use that as their reasoning. At least if they have the balls to say "I'm just taking a free ride" then I can respect that. But most anti vaxxes won't. They don't have the courage.

It winds me up too when anti vax mums boast how healthy their child is. That really upsets me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javic View Post
    Here is a link to some results of the study - like I said, not sure if it's at all legit.

I do get upset about healthy anti-vax types free riding on others. I have no issue with those that have good reason to avoid vax. It ****es me off most when people deny that vaccines work and use that as their reasoning. At least if they have the balls to say "I'm just taking a free ride" then I can respect that. But most anti vaxxes won't. They don't have the courage.

It winds me up too when anti vax mums boast how healthy their child is. That really upsets me.
    Firstly, this is a survey, not a formal study. There are so many confounding factors it's not funny. They are attempting to show a correlation- but that doesn't mean it's a causation.
    Secondly, have you read that website?? It barely makes sense- quote-
    "Since the last 200 years, when vaccines were introduced by Edward Jenner in the today's conventional meaning the effectiveness and dangers of vaccinations have proven themselves to be controversial. Vaccinations in their principle are an attack to the immune system. This especially applies to infants, toddlers and young children."

If you want to see some reliable, peer reviewed studies and reliable info, I'm happy to post links, I'm sure @beebs and others have a bunch of links we could give you- this website is dodgy as hell and there's no way I'd trust anything it published.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-03-2014),gnomesy  (03-04-2014),Lottiemum  (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by emily173 View Post
    I'm not saying that vaccines are worthless. I'm not blanket anti vax either. I think we are relying too heavily on the miracle cure and are perpetuating misinformation about the efficity of vaccines in this way 'Only Vaccinated children are safe and secure, all else will likely contract and die of these illnesses' which is not true at all. Tetanus vaccination at 2 months - before a child can properly grasp an object, we're mitigating the risk that they will fall over outside and contract Tetanus from a wound. Really? 2 months old? We spend the whole pregnancy avoiding chemicals, pesticides and soft cheese to avoid potential risks... Then we get to the child's birth and immediately jab them with a vaccine. I'm not going to try and change your mind if you're set on vaccinating. You know what's best for your child. But respect my choices and my right to say no to medication because there is a risk it will harm my children.
    You keep bringing up tetanus, which you are right on that isn't that common anymore. But what about WC, measles and chicken pox? they are becoming more and more prevalent every day bc people aren't vaxxing.

I do respect your choice. But I think the issue many have, is that you ultimately aren't just choosing for your child, you are potentially affecting others by transmission especially for newborns and small children. So I guess some think it is their business.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post

Does everybody who's anti-vax really believe in conspiracy theories, that they understand biology better than the professionals, or that the doctors etc. just don't give a crap about peoples' health?
    I think yes, some anti vaxxers do believe the pharma companies are delivering dangerous 'poisonous' chemicals to make money, and that the govts are all in on it... which makes zero sense on several levels that I can't be bothered getting into lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apparently neonatal tetanus is a thing! Babies can contract tetanus from an unhealed cord stump and it is responsible for 14% of all neonatal deaths.

Sure, not really a risk in a developed country, but I guess shows that the vaccination schedule is not as random as can initially appear and I'm quite certain that the Mothers of those babies who have died from it would have done anything to be vaccinated against tetanus.

Neonatal tetanus[edit]

Main article: Neonatal tetanus
    Neonatal tetanus is a form of generalized tetanus that occurs in newborns. Infants who have not acquired passive immunity because the mother has never been immunized are at risk. It usually occurs through infection of the unhealed umbilical stump, particularly when the stump is cut with a non-sterile instrument. As of 1998 neonatal tetanus was common in many developing countries and was responsible for about 14% (215,000) of all neonatal deaths[7] In 2010 the worldwide death toll was 58,000 newborns. As the result of a public health campaign, the death toll from neonatal tetanus was reduced by 90% between 1990 and 2010, and by 2013 the disease had been largely eliminated from all but 25 countries.[8] Neonatal tetanus is rare in developed countries.
    (from Wiki)
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 28-03-2014 at 14:19.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-03-2014),VicPark  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javic View Post

Honestly, the URL tells me that's not reliable for a start :P If I had a student who tried to use "vaccineinjury.info" as a reliable scientific source, I'd be appalled at their research and critical literacy skills.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-03-2014),beebs  (28-03-2014),gnomesy  (03-04-2014),lilypily  (28-03-2014),snowqu33n  (04-04-2014)