+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default Rural travellers to Sydney IVF

So we have been ttc for almost 3 years for our 3rd, unexplained infertility and live rurally. I'm set to start another course of clomid but we are playing with the idea of IVF early next year.

Our nearest clinic is charging 10k for EPU and transfer with 4.5 back and 8k after that. We simply don't have the money. I have read several Sydney clinics only charge the gap and have looked on one site (forget the place) that is 1800 upfront and 900 after that once you go over the Safety Net.

So my questions are mainly directed to those that are rural and have travelled to the Syd clinics

1) what is the process? ie. how many times do you need to travel there? what is this 3 day transfer? will rural u/s clinics do the monitoring? we are obviously wanting to cut down the travel as much as possible.

2) can people please help me which Syd clinics do the cheap IVF? Canberra would be better but I have read there are none that only charge the gap there.

I know there is a sticky thread with comparisions but that started in 08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You can stay at my house to help with finance

ETA - there is an ivf billboard on my way to work, I will look next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I remembered the name of the sign I saw

http://thefertilitycentre.com.au/liverpool/IVF-costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually travel from Perth to Sydney to undertake IVF (LONG STORY!!).

And my clinic is great. I do almost all my bloods and US externally (first thing in the morning, rush job, so that they can get the results by the afternoon) and apart from probably more following up that if the clinic was doing bloods and US, it usually works pretty well.

For a stim cycle they only need me in Sydney a few days before EPU and then the date of ET.

For a FET I only go to Sydney the day of ET. And then fly home.

My clinic is Fertility East and they have the process down pat for an external patient. They are also much cheaper than that. I can't give you exacts but i'm about $2000 out of pocket for a stim cycle and $1000 for a FET.

that being said, external BT and US cost a bit of extra money but it is manageable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    so a stim cycle is EPU? sorry to be so uneducated but obviously we have never done IVF before. How many days is it between the EPU and transfer? do you need to stay there or come back seperately.

Where do you get the drugs from liz if you only have one trip for transfer?

BigRed - I'm quite emotional now reading your offer. Thank you so much hun you don't know how much that means to me we'll see how it plays out. I'm praying I don't even need IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, stim cycle involves an EPU and FET involves embryos frozen after EPU (so involves less).

It depends on whether you have a 3 or a 5 day embryo transferred as to how many days between EPU and embryo transfer. I stayed because I am from Perth and treated it a bit like a holiday - my family came with me (it got cancelled anyway). But if you live closer you could probably just go home.

I don't need drugs for my FET as I have a natural cycle however they have always said that they would courier them to me if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh that is great news about the courier. if we are going to go down this route I want a stim cycle.

How did you do the initial interview? will they do a phone/skype interview?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I had to go to Sydney for the initial interview and this also involved orientation at the actual clinic - but i timed it with a work trip well before my cycle to start.

If I was you, I'd call a few clinics and ask them what there process is - they would be pretty familiar with this now - and work out what works best for you. Some may be more demanding, more expensive etc.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lizlh For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks Liz, that's been very helpful. I can't get over how good the Liverpool prices are!!! they are a 10th of the cost of my local IVF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a word of warning about u/a. A lot of rural centres may not have the high quality machines you get in the city. I'm not sure if that impacts on ivf scans. Also the operators may not be as skilled.