+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not cruel at all! You have to stop bottles at some point so it's better for everyone if its done when your bub is accepting of the change.

We dropped all bottles by about 18mo and she was fine with it. They can still have their milk, just in a cup instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, not cruel. Sounds like your DD is progressing well without the bottles and will give up the last one without a fuss.

I've dismissed some of my own mum's advice - just because they've done this whole parenting gig before doesn't mean they know what is best for YOUR child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope i think its a smart move. We took dds away at 11 months and she was fine but i see friends still scared to take their 3 year olds bottles away because they will crack it. They are much more unaware at 1 and its recommended to do so as its bad for their teeth

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Encouraging your kid to grow up at age appropriate milestones is healthy and not cruel! That's absurd!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely not cruel and recommended by health professionals - continuing to give bottles is what's not recommended. In saying that though I still give plenty of milk - just in various types of sippy cups and he drinks as much of it as he wants to as long as he is still having lots of solid food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told the equivalent of 500ml of milk a day is still good at this age so i use that as a guide. But that doesn't have to be drinks of milk. We do one drink of milk and the rest of their drinks are water only. The rest of their milk intake is on cereal, in cheese and yoghurt.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree to give it up when they can't whine, ask for it, throw tantrums etc before 1yo. I took my DS dummy away when he was 11 months old as he was a terrible sleeper and had sleep associations with the dummy, but also because I just wanted it gone. I personally hate dummies and he was addicted to his.

best thing I ever did. My mum told me I was mean and "to let him have his dummy, its not hurting anyone". If I would have listened he'd still have it past 2 and it would be hell to get rid of it. I can just imagine the tantrums and tears of taking it away now and that assures me we made the right decision.
    Last edited by adeline14; 14-08-2014 at 15:45. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Now I'm feeling like I'm doing something wrong. My DD will be 1 next month and is no where near ready to give up bottles :/ she isn't a great eater and I'd be worried she wouldn't get enough nutrients. Should I be doing something differently? She eats... just not a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Now I'm feeling like I'm doing something wrong. My DD will be 1 next month and is no where near ready to give up bottles :/ she isn't a great eater and I'd be worried she wouldn't get enough nutrients. Should I be doing something differently? She eats... just not a lot.
    Eh, dont stress A is 14 months and still has 3 bottles a day. My DS1 & DS2 had bottles til they were at least 2. Both have excellent teeth and the transition was much easier for us at 2yo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I must be totally terrible, I never gave any of my children a bottle at any time. weaned from breast to cup, and never formula. bad mummy here. marie.