+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Meals- What do you do?

Hi all, I'd love some advice.

I have a 17 month old boy who has always been a FANTASTIC eater, he took to solids well and ate basically everything we ever offered him. (I bf for 14 months when he self weaned and we did blw, starting at almost 6 months.)

In the last few weeks, his eating has basically gone to pot. He throws his meals on the ground and points to the fridge wanting fruit and yoghurt. He wants to snack on dried fruit constantly (he's now been cut off!!) And throws tantrums when we don't give it to him.

I've gone a bit 'tough love' the last 2 days. Basically, if he doesn't eat his meal, he gets nothing until the next meal. When he howls and points at the fridge, I just explain to him that he can have fruit after he eats dinner/lunch etc.

I guess what I want to know is-

1- is this normal for this age? Is this a fussy age?

2- do you send your kids to bed with an empty tummy? From what age?

3- am I being too harsh?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's normal.

My champion eater did the same at around 2.

I've recently had to start hiding all the fruit coz he'd happily eat 3 whole apples a day and nothing else.

I don't think you're being harsh, but I personally don't let him go to bed hungry, coz he wakes up at midnight screaming with hunger pains.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I think it's normal.

My champion eater did the same at around 2.

I've recently had to start hiding all the fruit coz he'd happily eat 3 whole apples a day and nothing else.

I don't think you're being harsh, but I personally don't let him go to bed hungry, coz he wakes up at midnight screaming with hunger pains.
    So, can I ask, what would you give him to eat that doesn't make it look like you're giving in?

My nephews (3 & 6) are both ridiculously fussy eaters and I don't want one myself!!!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours is 19 months and not a fussy eater yet, but his little friend, same age, is just as you describe.

No, I don't think you're being harsh. If our boy doesn't eat, for whatever reason, I really don't care that much. He has FIVE opportunities to eat each day: Brekkie, MT, lunch, AT, dinner... so he has little chance of going hungry.

As for going to bed without dinner, I don't think we've done that yet because he usually eats something. The only time I have made him something different, different to what we were eating, was when he had a terrible time with teething. I made him a smoothie. But other than that, I wouldn't give him anything different if he didn't eat what was put in front of him.
    Last edited by debsch; 26-03-2014 at 21:45. Reason: double not not negative!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's normal at that age to start trying to assert themselves and imperative ( IMO) that you don't give in now as this is when they become fussy

He knows if he won't eat dinner he gets fruit so I would cut off all fruit from the afternoon so it's not expected ( ditch the dried fruit as he's after the sugar high!)
    Serve his dinner ( hopefully the same as yours) if he eats it great if not don't make a big deal and just eat your dinner and put his in the fridge, if he wants food he can have his dinner re heated - always try put something on his plate you know he likes and don't stop trying new foods !

You want dinner to be fun not stressful, you want him to enjoy dinner not fight it so make it a very calm time and ignore the throwing food and not eating and he should come around! Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am literally crying reading your replies. I honestly was so worried I was being horrible by being strict about it.

He does get whatever we are having. Some days he'll eat 75% of the meal, other times it's 0%. It's hit and miss guessing what he likes because it changes every day.

Yep, dried fruit is out. So over the tantrums over that!!!

It is reassuring to know that I am not wrong in thinking that fussiness starts now. DH feels it's not that big a deal, but I can see it getting worse and want to nip it in the bud.

Can't thank you all enough. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep been through this and I am expecting it again! She would only eat crackers at one point. I had to put my foot down. We had a stand off all day where she wouldn't eat unless it was crackers and I told her no and kept offering her meals to which she refused. She finally gave in a ate a banana for afternoon tea and then ate meat and veg for dinner. I was very happy with this result. And she continued to eat well after that. We do have days where she will be fussy but nothing like the cracker phase! We know what is best for them and sometimes it needs a helping hand 😉. I probably wouldn't send her to bed hungry as she would just wake up through the night. So if she doesn't eat much at dinner I try something that she likes and is still healthy. And make sure she has some milk. But yes, I would have another day time stand off if it was required!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're doing the right thing! We started having issues like this with ds at dinner time around age 2 and after a lot of messing around, we now do let him go to bed with no dinner if he refuses to eat a meal I know he likes. He has til Bathtime to eat it, otherwise it goes in the bin as he was waiting till lights out to say "I want dinner now!" Which just delayed bed time. He gets milk at bedtime instead and doesn’t wake hungry in the night so I am ok with doing this. He's done it three times this week but ate tonight as it was a fish finger sandwich!! (lazy cooking night!!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fish finger sandwich, haha. My fallback is tinned spaghetti ;-)