+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh my goodness, how deplorable. I knew child workers weren't paid much, but that's pitiful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh my goodness, how deplorable. I knew child workers weren't paid much, but that's pitiful
    ^^ this

Compared to what they charge per day to have a child in child care

♥me & he = ds 17/9/13♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one who used to work in child care :-)

I was actually in the industry for 15 years (Qualified) and loved it but eventually the demands (physical and psychological) and conditions (including dismal pay) made me look elsewhere. I still stayed within children's services - child care staffing agency, family support services, nannying, family day care, and child protection and all paid more than child care.

I currently work in government and it pays double what child care does. I could never go back, it wouldn't be financially worth it.

So sad though that the care and education of our future generations is so undervalued, especially with all the research highlighting the importance of the early years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think generally you'll find most people who work in childcare are there because it's what they want to do, knowing full well they could earn more doing less somewhere else.

I'm not going back into childcare, because it's not there for me anymore. It's a really hard job to drag yourself through without passion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (26-03-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last I heard 450 people leave the child care industry a week. And the government is promising more child care places? How are they going to staff them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in admin in childcare and get paid more per hour ($21 casual rate) than most of the qualified staff that are in the classrooms. So sad considering they are doing such a wonderful job looking after our most precious little people.

Bachelor trained teachers that work in our kindergarten rooms get around $25 an hour. These people have done years of university and my DH earns more than them working in a average retail job.

So sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not sad, it's a f***ing outrage. It's disgusting and I can't believe every single one of us who use childcare is content to let receptionists get paid more than childcare educators. To the workers: Get unionised, get organised and lobby the government. The Early Years Quality Fund ($300 billion promised under the previous federal government) was intended to be used to raise the wages of low paid childcare workers, but the current government will not be implementing the plan. This story
    http://mobile.news.com.au/national/b...-1226779755081
    gives some background.
    Sorry to derail your thread OP- this subject makes me furious as you can see!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have no experience with child care but DS started pre school 2 days a week this year and DH and I were wondering how the owners make any money - they are only licensed for 20 kids and we pay. $63 for 9-4pm with food so approx $9 an hour , with staff and running costs like insurances etc I wonder if they actually make much of a profit or am I missing something ? The owner told me they are only licensed for a certain number of kids and must have a certain amount of staff , I suppose the catch 22 is if they paid the staff more the fees would go up

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was studying diploma of child services when pregnant with DD, so 12 years ago now and back then the single parent pension paid more.

As others said, it's a job you do for your passion of helping young kids, no financial benefit to it.

I have so much respect for childcare workers. There is so much more involved than simply watching the kids.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    Sorry for the very blunt question.... but i have a real interest in child care and not sure how else to find out if it's a worthwhile industry to get into (pay wise) without asking the childcare workers at DS's childcare.. but i feel a bit rude asking them ...

After i finish mat leave with my current pregnancy, i have sworn I will not be returning back to my current horrid call center job. I have been there for 4.5 years and I am done.

Unfortunately I will have to return to some kind of work... and i really need it to be something i enjoy this time. I adore kids, but sadly with all our bills etc something that pays reasonable is required. My current job actually pays quite well... it's just too painful now.

So if anyone could shed some light on the child care industry I would be soooo grateful! As i am considering starting a online child care course to mainly do while I am on mat leave, but ill have to start saving up for it now.
    Have you considered becoming an educational assistant in a school. It is a short course, great hours, holidays, family friendly and better pay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (29-03-2014)