+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yep we child care workers are not well paid at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back in 2010, i earned $18.82 an hour and was studying my cert 3. There was an older lady in her 40's who was doing a traineeship at the same time and was on $8 something an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my diploma and when I was took leading I was on 26 an hour & that was considered "well paid" compared to many!

The pay is terrible!

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Childcare workers get paid peanuts for the amount of work they are required to do, especially the paperwork which is more often than not in their own time!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (26-03-2014),NnB  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in the childcare industry for 4.5 years before I packed it in. The pay is nothing special, workplaces full of women are usually incredibly b***hy, most parents treat you like a babysitter not an educator, and some of the kids have disgusting behavior that you can do next to nothing about. I ended up dreading going to work everyday, you need to have a real passion for children and thick skin. I love kids and have chosen to study speech pathology and specialize in pediatrics but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to go back to the childcare industry. I know that sounds horrible and it is only my opinion of my experience. Good luck with whatever you choose to do =)

He + Me, in October there'll be 3 <3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vonnie89 For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in Childcare. I was on $16 something while I was on my traineeship. When the 12 months was over it went up to $19 then $20. After finishing my cert 3 it went up to $24 an hour. It is shocking considering the work that goes into teaching children however I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't paying Childcare fees as well :/ looking forward to the day my kids are in school and I can bring home a full pay lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pay is pretty rubbish, tbh. My best friend who has 20 years experience & a 4 year uni degree is on $30 p/h (her centre pays above award). I work in home based care, have 20+ years experience & earn $27 p/h. And, I have to fight for every cent. If you're looking to make $, then pick a different industry. It's really tough unless you're university trained & even then the pay does not reflect the level of responsibility & hard work. It's also a very physically demanding job. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another person who worked in childcare. I stopped because of my chronic illness. I did casual work so for me being 1st year diploma qualified I was paid approx $19.25/hr. I got more working for C&K Kindergarten centres as they pay well above award wages.
    I found that the paperwork id have to do took away my time from enjoying the kids. I did Nanny work 3 days per week and charged $20/hr. I didn't mind that work but it got a bit lonely and I found it a bit weird having the mum work from home to. I craved having more kids to look after and talking to other staff.
    I did it at the time because I do love kids, esp babies, but now I wouldn't go back full time. I'd stay casual as less paperwork to do when just working a day here or there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Childcare only pays well on casual rates. Its not an industry you get in to for the money. My full time rate was around $19 and hr with a cert 3. Its really only financially viable if you have a teaching degree from uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    I worked in the childcare industry for 4.5 years before I packed it in. The pay is nothing special, workplaces full of women are usually incredibly b***hy, most parents treat you like a babysitter not an educator, and some of the kids have disgusting behavior that you can do next to nothing about. I ended up dreading going to work everyday, you need to have a real passion for children and thick skin. I love kids and have chosen to study speech pathology and specialize in pediatrics but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to go back to the childcare industry. I know that sounds horrible and it is only my opinion of my experience. Good luck with whatever you choose to do =)

He + Me, in October there'll be 3 <3
    Jeez I wonder how many in the industry actually feel like you do. Makes me worried about the kind of care our kids get sometimes. Childcare workers get paid bugger all for the enormous level of expertise and responsibility required for the job. Unfortunately poorly paid jobs will always be less attractive to educated and experienced workers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (26-03-2014)