+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Super nanny all the way!

What is she doing when you say she is up to 10pm? My attitude has always been 'if you're in bed & quite it's good enough for me'. I've even turned a blind eye to tea-parties in the dark :-/ but take one step out of your door way & I'll put you back to bed.

Have you seen super nanny? Basically it's a consistent bedtime routine, really nice & calming, have a chat/read a book & kiss good night. If they get up you don't speak to them, just carry them back to bed & leave (no talking, no kiss, etc) & repeat.

First time we did it I think dd got up 16 times, 2nd night a handful of times & third night she stayed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bring day nap forward and limit the time.

Enforce a bedtime routine, eg dinner at 6pm, bath at 6.30, brush teeth, story and bed at 7pm.

Remove anything distracting or dangerous within reach in the bedroom.

Close door and ignore.

Rinse and repeat. They get it eventually!

DD 20 months has just transitioned to a big bed and its taken about two weeks to get back to 2 x day sleeps (she needs two).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD is 2yo and bedtime is hard work! I'll be following this thread for ideas. Ultimately, I need to get DH on the same side as me and enforce a bedtime routine. He's too relaxed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    Super nanny all the way!

What is she doing when you say she is up to 10pm? My attitude has always been 'if you're in bed & quite it's good enough for me'. I've even turned a blind eye to tea-parties in the dark :-/ but take one step out of your door way & I'll put you back to bed.

Have you seen super nanny? Basically it's a consistent bedtime routine, really nice & calming, have a chat/read a book & kiss good night. If they get up you don't speak to them, just carry them back to bed & leave (no talking, no kiss, etc) & repeat.

First time we did it I think dd got up 16 times, 2nd night a handful of times & third night she stayed.
    I do the supernanny routine with my DS and he rarely ventures outside his room now. Occasionally he will say he needs to go to the toilet (he is toilet training) but mostly He just plays in his room until 9pm. We don't realise until he cries out because he has become stuck under his bed or something similar...

Thanks
    Reviews
    This post I read this week has some interesting ideas.

http://amomwithalessonplan.com/mommy...etter-bedtime/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    Super nanny all the way!

yeah we have gone back to trying this multiple times, but whenever we do she just gets worse. she doesn't stay quietly until 10pm - she just keeps throwing tantrums and it's so draining. We put baby gates in her doorway around 6 months ago, which seemed to work, and they made her easier to get to sleep for the most part, but tonight we thought perhaps we would take them away, and she has been much more settled, even though she still took until 9.20 to fall asleep. Strange because the gates were never an issue before, but maybe she is becoming more aware of not being able to get out now that she is getting older...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (27-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what happens is she initially doesn't want to go to sleep, then makes herself so overtired that she can't go to sleep. If she just went to sleep when we put her in bed, she wouldn't get overtired! I might try again to drop the day sleep come friday (my day off) and if it works over the weekend, I will tell childcare to do the same...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    Bring day nap forward and limit the time.

Enforce a bedtime routine, eg dinner at 6pm, bath at 6.30, brush teeth, story and bed at 7pm.

Remove anything distracting or dangerous within reach in the bedroom.

Close door and ignore.

Rinse and repeat. They get it eventually!

DD 20 months has just transitioned to a big bed and its taken about two weeks to get back to 2 x day sleeps (she needs two).
    thanks for the tips, although bedtime routine is the same everynight. she has minimal things in her room to distract her.

I can't close the door because she is literally petrified of being closed in - to the point where she will just get worse and worse with her screaming and actually shakes because she is so frightened. She hasn't been this bad at going to sleep in ages - it's just been the last few weeks. Normally I put her back to bed silently up to 10 times in the first 5 minutes, then she reads to herself, rolls over and goes to sleep. Not sure what has upset her pattern, but something has to be causing it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    forgot to mention - day nap is normally after she eats lunch, which is at 11. lately she has been doing the same thing for day naps too, but not for the childcare people - only at home, and has refused her day naps the last few days i have been home, but then crashed out while i was cooking dinner or something...