+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best ice block mould for a toddler

I give my 13 mo daughter cubes of Greek yogurt and / or puréed fruit frozen in ice cube trays in one of those net feeders. She's an excellent eater and chewer but I'm worried if I give her a full ice block (still homemade, using a mould), she will bite off big chunks and will slide down her throat. So 2 questions, when did you start giving your child proper ice blocks and what are the best moulds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure about age, but Kmart have moulds that are a perfect toddler size and the set is only $2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started giving them to ds around that age because it was summer and so hot. At first I just used the ikea moulds which are just the normal shape. But he couldn't hold onto them.

So I ended up buying these jewel shaped ones on ebay. They are like a ring so I put it on ds thumb and he can eat it himself. Unfortunately they are expensive at $26 for six moulds but worth it in our Queensland summer.

He is now 17 months and can hold the ikea ones himself now.

He has never really bitten off chunks. He more just sucks on them. To be honest I didn't even think about that aspect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is nearly 1 and I have just started giving him ice blocks - I just got cheapo moulds from a $2 shop. He has a bit of difficulty holding them, and I only give them to him outside because he makes an awesome mess of himself. The biting chunks off hasn't really been an issue - the ones I have are long and round, so it's diffucult for him to get his whole mouth around the top, he just sucks on it.

Edited - this is the shape of ours

IMG_1883.jpg
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 26-03-2014 at 08:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have some that I got from Spotlight - decor brand. The base has a "straw" coming out of it so they can drink anything that melts. I've been using them since DD3 was about 18 months (maybe less) and they work well. I like that the base is deep enough to hold anything that melts.

Choking was never an issue when she was little - although we have a rule that she was either in her high chair or sitting down outside when she had one, and I was always with her. Even now at 5 and 10 years I don't let them walk around when eating them - a friends little boy fell over with a lollypop stick in his mouth, had to go to hospital to have it removed, no long term damage but very scary so I'm a bit paranoid!

The base is quite solid and when DD was little she used to hold onto this with 2 hands rather that using the stick that comes out the bottom. This "stick" is plastic - about the size of a regular iceypole/paddlepop type stick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have these (Tovolo's the brand, it that helps).
    tovolo_ice-cream-pop-moulds.jpg
    DD's 18 months and has been eating them since about 14 months... hasn't had a problem with holding onto them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I might try some cheap ones and work my way up to the more expensive ones until we find something that works :-)