+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby less than 20th percentile at 28 weeks gestation

I've had my 28 week checkup and was told our baby's percentile has dropped again. We have gone from 50, 40 now down to just below 20 since our 20 week measurement and its worrying me now.

I have severe anaemia and gestational diabetes. At the beginning of this pregnancy I had some cysts near my placenta that ruptured and were quite large. I have also had hyperemesis which has lasted the whole pregnancy to date however I had originally lost 8 kgs and now put that back on.

The Ob has mentioned that if our baby is still small at my next visit in 4 weeks time they will talk about inducing him. I really don't want to induce him but if he's not growing enough inside and there's a better chance to get him out and onto breast milk then of course I will. I just wondered what I can do to help him grow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont have any suggestions sorry but ive known alot of ppl who had small babies and all was fine

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you had an ultrasound or are the measurements fundal height measurements ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what you can do to help him grow, but I was induced with my DD at 37 weeks as she had dropped from the 50th percentile at 33wks, down to the 8th percentile at 36+5wks.

Like you, I didn't really want to be induced, but I didn't want to risk the health of my baby. She was born small at 2.2kg (just under 5lb), but other than being small, there was nothing else wrong.
    Last edited by amazonbaby; 25-03-2014 at 22:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was induced because of growth restriction in utero (he was at the 2nd percentile at birth), and this pregnancy is progressing very similarly.

I'm currently 33 weeks with bub measuring at the 4th percentile, so I'm having regular growth scans to monitor when induction might be indicated. The last few weeks I have been on strict rest. I have amazing parents who have helped with my toddler, and have avoided grocery shopping, stopped work, no housework etc. I've been doing hardly anything and the rate at which bub's growth had been slowing has been lessened.

I was really stressed with my first pregnancy, but this time I'm trying to be more relaxed about it because we got through the same thing last time. When bub was born he plumped up straight away - it was really the best thing for him. Easy for me to say, but try not to worry too much. It sounds like you're getting great medical care and are being monitored very closely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an iugr baby too... induced at 37 weeks 2.2 kilos. He is now a 20 kilo almost four yo lol. I have heard Eating protein can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird1 View Post
    I dont have any suggestions sorry but ive known alot of ppl who had small babies and all was fine

Ive had ultrasounds which apparently are more accurate. I'm ok with him being small but my worry is that the reason for the drop is due to lack of oxygen or blood supply which I have been told could be why.

Ive got kidney disease and they have me as high risk already but if there is anything I could change to try and help him I will. I really don't know what to do from here but a month until my next appointment is going to drive me crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you have more regular ultrasounds to check blood flow etc? To monitor growth rate they usually do them every two weeks. I usually see my ob on the alternate week - she does another scan, which although not as thorough as the ultrasound place, does a basic check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    DS was induced because of growth restriction in utero (he was at the 2nd percentile at birth), and this pregnancy is progressing very similarly.

I'm currently 33 weeks with bub measuring at the 4th percentile, so I'm having regular growth scans to monitor when induction might be indicated. The last few weeks I have been on strict rest. I have amazing parents who have helped with my toddler, and have avoided grocery shopping, stopped work, no housework etc. I've been doing hardly anything and the rate at which bub's growth had been slowing has been lessened.

I was really stressed with my first pregnancy, but this time I'm trying to be more relaxed about it because we got through the same thing last time. When bub was born he plumped up straight away - it was really the best thing for him. Easy for me to say, but try not to worry too much. It sounds like you're getting great medical care and are being monitored very closely.
    Does it help them grow if you are on bedrest? I.e. do they grow more the less you move? Did your ob ever tell you how bedrest/your movement affects babys growth? Id be interested to know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an IUGR baby too. 29weeks and she was born weighing 850g (u/s estimated over 795g) ... She should have easily been double her birth weight at birth.

They took her out via emergency section (for other issues) and kept putting weight on and thrived from there on out. Today she weighs in at nearly 13kgs at 28 months old!