+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids party protocol

This is going to sound dumb but do you open presents in front of guests at kids parties?
    What's the party 'schedule' like?
    like do you open before or after cake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't let mine open presents at the party. I let DD1 do it when she was 4 and she had a huge tantrum so we wait now til guests have left. On a rare occasion we might do one or two but that's right at the end of the party after cake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do it after cake and when party is about to wind down, I know some of his guests ( mainly relatives !) really wanted to see him open their gifts

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it's at home we do it after cake, people can stay and watch if they want. If it's somewhere else then we take them home to open. Dealing with all that wrapping and packaging out of home is not my idea of fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    If it's at home we do it after cake, people can stay and watch if they want. If it's somewhere else then we take them home to open. Dealing with all that wrapping and packaging out of home is not my idea of fun!
    Exactly this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They either open then when they are given to them or they open after everyone has left. Regardless of when they open then they are put up straight away because one year she opened all her presents at once before the cake and almost everything was broken because all the kids were fighting over everything and it just was a big hassle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I prefer to open them the next day so I can calmly see what has arrived, match the present to the card and immediately confiscate stuff that's too old, too young or too noisy. I also stagger when new toys come into rotation so put some away immediately.

For dd1s 1st birthday we had so many presents we were still finding them a week later.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we had my daughters 1st bday party a week after her actual birthday so she had already received gifts from immediate family. So there were about 6-7 gifts to open from her great grandma and our friends, so we did it after cake. I was going to wait but I had a few people ask if we could open their present so we did all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do cake, lolly bags, goodbye and then a quick tidy up before the rellies sit down in the lounge and watch the gifts be opened. I txt thanks afterwards to the guests with the beautiful reactions their gift elicited!
    We learned after the first birthday to not open them when others were there as they took over and opened and destroyed half the presents before we could see who they were from or the birthday boy got to play with them. I like to make sure they know who gave them the gift aswell, they have great memories for these details :-)