Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default DD puts EVERYTHING in her mouth

And i mean EVERYTHING.

It is getting to be really serious now, I had her teacher call me this afternoon as it is causing them such a huge concern that she is now on the High Risk Safety list at the school because they are scared she is going to make herself sick or choke.

When i say everything, maybe i should list just some of the things i have caught her eating. Before i do that, i should also mention (and the teacher mentioned this to) that she is a very bright child and knows it is wrong and will go behind our backs and is very sneaky when it comes to this.

Here goes, lip balm, sunscreen, soap, washing powder, deoderant stick, windex, ajax all purpose cleaner, textas, glue, aftershave - just to name a few. It doesnt stop there though, anything that is small enough to go into her mouth goes in, from plastic to rocks to seeds off trees to hair ties - this list is endless.

She knows its wrong, she knows she could choke and get sick. BUT SHE DOES IT ANYWAY!!!!

Since she has always done this, at home, we have basically got the house in lock down, she has been at her child care centre since she was 6 months old and they know to be careful with her. She is constantly being asked whats in her mouth, breath being smelled, remove the object and then asked why she did it, does she know its wrong etc.

It seems to be getting worse and the fact that the school has noticed it has made me feel sick and I need to stop this behaviour - but how?????

Please, any suggestions would be great, i am desperate.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Sounds like pica. No suggestions unfortunately but I know when I was 12 & iron deficient I loved chewing on & eating rubber and paper.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

bpac  (25-03-2014),cluckcluck  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know what they are called exactly.. but could you get her one of those necklaces or bracelets that have the bit that can be chewed on them? I have heard they can be good for tactile kids!

Like this: http://www.jellystonedesigns.com/index.php/faq

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

bpac  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    What is PICA? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Thank you for the link, i am going to order one now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There might be even better ones, that was just one of the first things that came up in google under 'sensory necklace'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

bpac  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    There might be even better ones, that was just one of the first things that came up in google under 'sensory necklace'
    Yeah, i am googling now! I am guessing i am going to need something pretty durable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, it does sound like Pica. I will pm you some info. You really need to take her to a doctor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely sounds like Pica to me, my DD had pica and ate things you wouldn't dream of, including some things you mentioned in your daughter's list.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

bpac  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I have asked 2 seperate doctors about this in the past, both of them have said it is just a phase. I have made an appointment for saturday and i want to get some answers but i dont know what i should ask them so they take me seriously and not just tell me its a phase?

Thanks
    Reviews
    By school age your daughter should have outgrown the mouthing stage. I would look at getting blood tests for deficiencies/talking to the dr about it and maybe looking at a referral to a paed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-03-2014),bpac  (25-03-2014)