+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tongue tie

Can anyone tell me about tongue ties pls?

Apparently 7 week old DS has a 'little ' tongue tie.

BF is painful on the RH side but that was the same with DS1. his attachment is pretty crappy anyway but since wa got this supposed tongue tie I'm wondering if it will get better as he grows? Or do tongue ties just stay the same? As in even if they grow it won't get better?

Is snipping it the only option?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 4 yr old has quite a bad tongue tie that was never cut. I breastfed him for 19 months. The first 3 months of which were hell-ish and if I had have known about the tongue tie then I would have opted to get him snipped. It stopped being painful at approx 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd tongue tie was picked up by a lc when dd was 5 weeks as my nipples were shredded and not healing. She had it clipped at 6 weeks, it was really simple and she fed straight after and her latch was so much better. We used a nipple shield though which she had grown attached too and still use now and she will be one tomorrow. My nipples healed a week after she had the snip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We got DS' posterior tie snipped at 2 weeks because breastfeeding was incredibly painful for me, especially on the right side. It didn't help with the pain immediately, he's had bad latch habits he's had to break, learn how to use his tongue properly and my nipples needed to heal. It still hurts but I can see a change and we do get pain free latches more often now. I can tell he uses his tongue properly now, you can see it sometimes out of the corner of his mouth scooping my nipple.

He's 6 weeks now and I think the better latches are a combination of the tt being snipped, his mouth just getting bigger and him getting older and better at it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    My 4 yr old has quite a bad tongue tie that was never cut. I breastfed him for 19 months. The first 3 months of which were hell-ish and if I had have known about the tongue tie then I would have opted to get him snipped. It stopped being painful at approx 3 months.
    Can I ask if it has effected his speech at all? When I was having dd tongue snipped I thought back to ds and his latch was terrible we stopped bf at 11 weeks and he has been referred to a speech therapist so had me wondering if he had a slight tongue tie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I don't know if I should get it snipped or not, I don't want to put him through any pain

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had a tie which was quite bad, it got cut at 6 weeks they picked it up when he was first born. His dad has a tie also which never got cut and aside from not being able to stick his tongue out it doesn't effect his speach but they said if he was to get it cut now though he would have to learn to speak again lolok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfoot83 View Post
    Can I ask if it has effected his speech at all? When I was having dd tongue snipped I thought back to ds and his latch was terrible we stopped bf at 11 weeks and he has been referred to a speech therapist so had me wondering if he had a slight tongue tie?
    No, it never impacted on his speech. Ds has always been quite advanced in his speech and language. The only thing it impacts on now is he can't stick his tongue out very far at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (24-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    DS2 had a posterior TT and an upper lip tie that were impacting on his feeding and his weight gain (he was also 8.5 weeks prem, so weight was an issue) and we had them snipped. It wasn't pleasant but I went on to feed him until he was two and I don't regret our decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had a mild to moderate one that the paed firstly said wasn't worth doing anything about. But then discovered he had a hernia and needed surgery, so seeing as he would be under general anaesthetic anyway, recommended the tongue tie snip also. I had been feeding fine beforehand, but the surgeon told me that it's not feeding that's the real issue with tongue ties. It's speech development and dental health. Apparently they can get more cavities because their tongue can't reach around their mouth to clean food out of their teeth & gums.