+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pumpkin soup recipe

There are tons and tons out there but just wondering how do you make your pumpkin soup? I have a large Japanese pumpkin to use up.

I'm over the one I make. Usually I just boil onion, chicken stock, cubes of pumpkin and a bit of potato. Blend then add cream, salt and pepper.

Any recipes? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sautee onion and cumin, add pumpkin and chicken stock, simmer, blend with a touch of cream. The cumin gives it a really nice flavour. I haven't added potato before, might try that! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine is more of a pumpkin and veg soup:

onion
    bacon
    pepper and salt to taste
    nutmeg
    garlic
    chicken stock
    pearl barley
    pumpkin
    potato
    grated zucchini and carrot
    cauliflower

Mashed really well instead of pureed.

Served with greek yoghurt, chives or spring onions and grated cheese, with or without crusty bread.

Edit:
    Can refrigerate or freeze but upon reheating will need lengthening due to pearl barley's ability to soak up moisture. If potato is kept minimal to none and one gives the crusty bread a miss then it is relatively low gi also.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 23-03-2014 at 22:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Roasted pumpkin soup

1 whole jap pumpkin halved
    3 cloves garlic
    Approx 2 cups chicken or veggie stock
    1 leek sliced plus butter to fry
    1/2 bunch fresh chopped chives
    2 tablespoons sour cream

Put de seeded pumpkin halves and garlic on baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and roast until soft approx 30 mins

Fry leek in butter in large saucepan, add stock , squeeze out cooked roasted garlic and scooped out pumpkin flesh , season then blitz with bamix ( if too thick add more stock) fold in sour cream and fresh chives , serve with crusty sourdough! I also like heaps of freshly ground black pepper in mine!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 23-03-2014 at 22:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Peel and cut 1/2 a pumpkin and 1 potato. I prefer jap pumpkin.
    Finely dice a onion and a few rashes of bacon.
    Place pumpkin on tray drizzle a tiny bit of oil over the pumpkin and sprinkle with paprika and season all. Toss to cover all the pumpkin. Cover with the diced bacon and onion and cook.

When cooked tip in a saucepan and add some chicken stock to your deserved thickness. Blend with a stick blender. Serve with a dollop of cream or sour cream.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...zo-soup-481293

I use this recipe, with sweet potato or roasted/unroasted pumpkin.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Saute 2 leeks in some butter.
    Add shed load of chopped pumpkin and cover in stock (we use veggie stock).
    Grate some fresh ginger.
    Cook until all soft and mushy.
    Blitz with a stick blender.

Serve in large quantities with crusty bread!

I'm not usually a ginger fan but it goes REALLY well in pumpkin soup.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Peel and dice pumpkin into fairly large pieces suitable for roasting. Peel and quarter 1-2 Spanish onions, spray pumpkin and onion with oil and roast in oven until soft and cooked through.

Bring to boil 750ml chicken stock (can use anywhere from 500ml- 1L so I went middle ground lol!) to boil, add in roasted pumpkin and onion an blend with stick mixer. Add 1tbsp honey and 1-2 tsp mustard (I use either seeded or Dijon but I'm sure a variety of mustards would work)

I usually don't do measurements for this recipe that's why it's open to a bit of interpretation. It's easy and delicious and I love how you get the taste of roasted pumpkin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

I ended up roasting quarters of a brown onion and a Spanish onion, large chunks of pumpkin and a few carrots in olive oil and salt and pepper. I reduced 1L chicken stock to make 750ml, added roasted veggies along with juices, blended and oh my goodness... It was Devine! So so yum. I haven't added anything else because I think it's amazing as is but next time I make pumpkin soup I will definitely add some bacon or some leeks or other spices that were mentioned.

I've got it sitting on the stove top ready for dinner tonight- if I stop walking past and eating a spoonful each time. I've made some cheesy garlic bread out of buns that needed using up as well. And made banana bread with crumble topping for desert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    Thanks everyone

I ended up roasting quarters of a brown onion and a Spanish onion, large chunks of pumpkin and a few carrots in olive oil and salt and pepper. I reduced 1L chicken stock to make 750ml, added roasted veggies along with juices, blended and oh my goodness... It was Devine! So so yum. I haven't added anything else because I think it's amazing as is but next time I make pumpkin soup I will definitely add some bacon or some leeks or other spices that were mentioned.

I've got it sitting on the stove top ready for dinner tonight- if I stop walking past and eating a spoonful each time. I've made some cheesy garlic bread out of buns that needed using up as well. And made banana bread with crumble topping for desert.

Perfect timing, i just got given a massive pumpkin from our neighbour so going to give this recipe a go!