+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My DD had silent reflux and it was caused by cows milk protein intolerance so was (and still is) on soy formula.

She was about 5 months before we found that out and had her on meds. She was on 10mg of nexium.

The suspension isn't effective and damn expensive. I used to get my half Nexium tablet put it in a tablespoon, pour over cooled boiled water and used her plastic feeding spoon to dissolve it. I then tipped out the excess water and split the remaining tablet with some liquid still in it onto two of her spoons.

I'd also fill a 5 ml syringe with apple juice.

So I'd tip the medicine in her mouth then follow it with some juice and repeat til it was all gone. The stuff tastes awful so the juice was the only way she would take it.

Also try a regular soy formula, we have katicare. If you find that's not thick enough for him (it should be though as it's thicker than milk based formula) you can add a feed thickener.

Or try a lactose free one first to see if it's a lactose intolerance. If not it could be the cows milk protein, in which case soy should do the trick.

I'd definitely suggest also upping the meds too through your doctor, they grow so quick you're likely going to have to up the meds constantly.

Good luck Hun silent reflux is truly awful, but at least you have doctors taking you seriously and helping you out while he's so young, everyone told me it was normal baby behaviour and fobbed me off as an idiot and first time mum who didn't know any better for 5 months!

PM me if you need.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 24-03-2014 at 08:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    My DD had silent reflux and it was caused by cows milk protein intolerance so was (and still is) on soy formula.

She was about 5 months before we found that out and had her on meds. She was on 10mg of nexium.

The suspension isn't effective and damn expensive. I used to get my half Nexium tablet put it in a tablespoon, pour over cooled boiled water and used her plastic feeding spoon to dissolve it. I then tipped out the excess water and split the remaining tablet with some liquid still in it onto two of her spoons.

I'd also fill a 5 ml syringe with apple juice.

So I'd tip the medicine in her mouth then follow it with some juice and repeat til it was all gone. The stuff tastes awful so the juice was the only way she would take it.

Also try a regular soy formula, we have katicare. If you find that's not thick enough for him (it should be though as it's thicker than milk based formula) you can add a feed thickener.

Or try a lactose free one first to see if it's a lactose intolerance. If not it could be the cows milk protein, in which case soy should do the trick.

I'd definitely suggest also upping the meds too through your doctor, they grow so quick you're likely going to have to up the meds constantly.

Good luck Hun silent reflux is truly awful, but at least you have doctors taking you seriously and helping you out while he's so young, everyone told me it was normal baby behaviour and fobbed me off as an idiot and first time mum who didn't know any better for 5 months!

PM me if you need.
    Thanks I'll be asking for lactose and cows milk intolerance testing today. And also the tablets instead of suspension. I had to go to the hospital several times telling them I think he has silent reflux before I got a paed with a young baby that also has it! The first few times I was told colic and to go home there was nothing they could do. It was so frustrating so I can imagine how you felt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh if you are using losec, we found after much trial and error that the syringes you get with liquid polaramine are the best ones for giving the dissolved tablets, the little granules go through them really well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never heard of them lol I'll have to have a look at them :-) my chn suggested mylanta 2mls before 2 mls after but when I asked the pharmacy which one I buy they basically got upset that I'd even think of using it on such a young baby when it's meant for 12 years plus but both my doc and my chn said it's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    I've never heard of them lol I'll have to have a look at them :-) my chn suggested mylanta 2mls before 2 mls after but when I asked the pharmacy which one I buy they basically got upset that I'd even think of using it on such a young baby when it's meant for 12 years plus but both my doc and my chn said it's ok.
    Silly pharmacist. Lots of drs recommend you try mylanta. I used the adult bottles and gave dd about 1-2mls until we went onto zantac.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    FYI You can buy Mylanta at the supermarket.
    2 of my 3 children had severe reflux and were on both Losec and Zantac. The doses need to be increased as they gain weight, but as PP's have said, the suspension loses effectiveness after a couple of weeks. We found the Losec tablets no problem at all to use.
    Both my refluxers were dairy and soy intolerant, so I went on a strict elimination diet, otherwise they would have had to go on prescription formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I bottle feed so don't have to worry about my diet. I was aware you can buy it at a supermarket I was just already at the chemist :-) his dosage was increased at 6 weeks his now 9 weeks and gained another 750grams I'm seeing at doctor at 3.20

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Doctor didn't care about anything I said and didn't answer any of my questions just gave me the script and sent me on my way. DS has been screaming for the last 2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Doctor didn't care about anything I said and didn't answer any of my questions just gave me the script and sent me on my way. DS has been screaming for the last 2 hours.
    Oh no! I share your pain! It just makes you feel awful being turned away like that.

Intolerances can only be diagnosed by elimination. I would try lactose free formula first. Give it a week and see if anything changes. I know it's a long time when your bub is screaming but you have to allow all of the milk based formula leave his system.

Maybe also try and get a paed referral. They generally are more understanding and don't fob you off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Oh no! I share your pain! It just makes you feel awful being turned away like that.

Intolerances can only be diagnosed by elimination. I would try lactose free formula first. Give it a week and see if anything changes. I know it's a long time when your bub is screaming but you have to allow all of the milk based formula leave his system.

Maybe also try and get a paed referral. They generally are more understanding and don't fob you off.
    Going back to doctor (a different one) on Thursday morning I seriously think it's a lactose intolerance. So will be trying a new formula after I see doc on Thursday will give it 2 weeks to settle in though he can't take thin formula so is it thin? If so I'll add a thickener. :-) his asleep right now I'm my arms but his hurting :-(