+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Silent reflux

Why is my DS's reflux getting worse as he gets older? Every time I think I've gotten the right balance with medicine + feeds + formula + sleep it's works for a few days or even a week then his reflux steps it up a notch and we go back to square one it's exhausting!! He was just starting to sleep through and now here I am sitting in the rocking chair with him rocking him to sleep for the 7th time since 7.30 tonight!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hate seeing him in so much pain the ear piercing squeal then cry breaks my heart :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awwww hun, reflux sucks! How old is your bub?

It does get better, but takes time. I don't think ds was great until well after his 1st birthday but he had definately improved before that.

For him I found that the raffertys food pouches were a massive no no. I thought it was the onion in them but he eats onion in stuff I cook fine so not sure what it was. But if he had one of those during the day, that night was hell.

You could try some liquid mylanta to see if that helps. It's not a long term fix but can help when it's really bad.

Big hugs though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the reply DS is 9 weeks and on Karicare AR it's all he could tolerate anything thinner and he would scream and scream and only take 20-60mls a feed on the AR formula he is taking a full 150ml bottle but has now become constipated. We are using coloxal as treatment. The last 2 days I've started noticing him refluxing regularly he just gulps constantly and screams after. I don't know what to do anymore he is on losec 3ml twice a day which is a higher dose than is normal for his age. I see the chn tomorrow hopefully she has some good answers because elevating everything hasn't worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww so little still. Poor thing. It does get better.

How long has ds been on the losec? It can take time to build up and work completely.

In the meantime we used liquid mylanta to give some relief. I gave it after each feed during the day and it helped so much. It's actually what helped convince the drs he had silent reflux.

The dr told us to give 1ml when we felt he needed it amd we should see an improvement pretty quickly. If 1ml worked then half a ml should he said. But it didn't really so we ended up giving 3/4 of a ml.

The maximum dose I believe is 1ml per kilo of body weight per day.

Maybe have a chat to your chn and see what they think and if it could help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    His been on losec for. 6 weeks today :-( he hates it he was sleeping through for the last week but the last 2 night have been bad last night he was up hourly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww you poor things. Hope you get some relief soon.

A friend of mine had a son with severe reflux and it turned out he was lactose intolerant so he had to go on a special soy reflux formula that is prescription only. But he was sooooo much better after that.

Also I assume you are using the losec suspension. How old is the current suspension? Because it isn't stable so it does lose it's effectiveness after a period of time. Some paeds say it loses its effectiveness after 7 days, others say it's good for a month. But it may be something to think about if he was doing better and then been bad the last 2 days.

I hope for both your sakes there is improvement soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with pp.
    What losec are you using?
    Even the hospitals ... Well the children's I've had my dd in. .. don't use the suspension as it looses effectiveness.

Perhaps you need to get back to the paed and discuss the symptoms and try something else. ??Maybe keep a diary of the symptoms when they occur and for how long/what happened. ..
    You might see a patten emerge.

I know my dd had silent reflux. .. then cmpi... losec didn't work for us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Suspension so you might be on to something there! I want him tested for lactose intolerance my partner has trouble with dairy. Off to the doctors today for referral to paed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would see if you can get the tablets to dissolve yourself rather than the suspension. We found that the suspension only stayed active for about 2 weeks even though they made enough for a month. So after 2 weeks she would be showing major reflux pain again. As soon as we switched back to dissolving tablets her symptoms leveled out and she was fine