+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All 3 of mine have had a dummy. DD didn't have one until 6 weeks old and that was after a long car trip that left her very unsettled and I don't think she ever got overly attached and only needed it sometimes and actually self weaned off it at 8 months. DS2 was from close the beginning he was a premmie and the Dr recommended giving him one when he was being fed through his nasal tube to help learn the breath suck swallow motion he needed but he didn't have one after around 6 months he just didn't want it one day and DS2 has had one since day one and is now 18 months and still needs it to sleep but if we don't put them up he will try and have it during the day when he is playing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - all the advice and experiences are much appreciated. I ended up purchasing some Nuk dummies from baby expo on the weekend for 'emergency' situations....

I'm more comfortable only giving DS a dummy at night if he absolutely needs it to settle. Do I remove the dummy when he falls asleep or do u wait till baby has spat it out? I dnt want baby to look for it in the middle of night....

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd let him spit it out on his own, if he's like my DS he'll do it after a minute or two. You'd risk waking him if you take it out unless you wait until he's in a deep sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This isn't a comprehensive scientific study... And obviously there are exceptions.... But every bub in my mothers group that had a dummy had sleeping problems.

I don't really use a dummy for that reason. I don't want to introduce a sleep aid that may require adult intervention through the night.

That being said my MACH nurse mentioned that you can always use a dummy to calm bub and then take it out before bub goes to sleep...
    I will agree with you and I dont often when we went to sleep school we were told ditch the dummy! I was shocked. I think at a young age doesn't matter until 4-6 months then let it go because you can enforce sleeping habits a bit better than a newborn bit more grizzling etc for self settling iykwim.

Do what you think is best hun. Some nurses arent the best (im in adel) too x

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS3 has a dummy and he has slept through the night from early on. He is also fed to sleep and has no sleep issues.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app