+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I encourage them for first six mths as the assistant in regulating breathing so I was told. From observation I can tell when ds2 has his dummy in or out based on his breathing.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yeh just a sleeping thing here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I gave both kids a dummy. DD who was bottle fed got very attached and didn't give it up until almost 4!

With DS (breast feed) I gave one to him because he constantly wanted to comfort suck around the clock! I also used it as a sleeping aid and because it helps babies to breath (apparently reduces the risk of sids). By 6-7 months he didn't want/need it anymore and hasn't used one since.

Dummies are only allowed for sleeping though! Never during the day.
    Last edited by waterlily; 24-03-2014 at 05:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We started using one a couple weeks ago with DS (6 weeks). We only use it to help settle him to sleep if he needs it, he sucks on it for a couple minutes then spits it out. He doesn't search for it after that and doesn't wake up needing it. He also only needs it to help settle for day naps and when he first goes to bed at night not in the middle of the night when he goes back down after feeds, I think this is because he's more stimulated during those times so just needs a little help winding down. I solely breastfeed him and it hasn't led to nipple confusion either. I use one of those cherry shaped ones, he won't take the ortho ones.

The book I'm using (Baby Bliss by Jo Ryan) says using a dummy to help settle a young baby is fine, just don't put it back in when they spit it out after calming themselves.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 24-03-2014 at 06:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS1 had a dummy from around day 3 and he was addicted to it. We weaned him to sleep time onlu at 18 months and he gave up the dummy at night time when he was 3.5

DS2 had a dummy but he started refusing it at 7 months and he hasnt had one since.

DS3 is 9 months and he has one when he is upset or really tired but not asleep. He doesnt take it other times.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our bub dosnt have or use a dummy we tried it months ago she's 5 months now but she never really wanted it so havnt pushed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my children have had dummies. They are only for bed time or they are really upset.
    DS doesn't have one anymore but DD does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had some from my baby shower and when hubby was looking after ds he tryed to give him one. But ds never took to dummies and I didn't really want to use them. For me they weren't something I wanted ds to use as a crotch for sleeping, calming etc. however I think it's an individual's choice if you want to go ahead and if not then don't bother.

Asha 26, William 17 months and a gorgeous handful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is nothing wrong with letting him comfort suck at the boob, it's actually a good thing because it helps keep your milk supply up if you're happy to keep letting him do it then don't feel like you have to give him a dummy. If you want to give him one then do but it should be your decision not the nurse or anyone else.

I really dislike dummies and DS seems to feel the same way because he spits them out (my mum tried, when I wasn't there which really ****ed me off because she knew I didn't want him to have one but he wouldn't take it anyway so sucked in to her :P).

Thanks
    Reviews
    All 3 of mine were very "sucky" babies (2 had reflux) and I used dummies pretty much from birth. Had no issues with nipple confusion, they all breastfed past 12 months. I got rid of their dummies while they were still little- between 6-9 months I went cold turkey and after a couple of days they didn't even look for them anymore.
    I think dummies are mostly for the convenience of the parents! But I was happy to use them when they were still little. I know a few people whose toddlers still had dummies and they all seemed to have issues with their teeth and/or speech.