+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    This isn't a comprehensive scientific study... And obviously there are exceptions.... But every bub in my mothers group that had a dummy had sleeping problems.

I don't really use a dummy for that reason. I don't want to introduce a sleep aid that may require adult intervention through the night.

That being said my MACH nurse mentioned that you can always use a dummy to calm bub and then take it out before bub goes to sleep...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't want to give my DS one but when I took him to sleep school they gave him the one I bought just in case and it helped they explained how it helped with reflux babies too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forget what everyone else says, thinks and what their preference is. Buy a dummy and see if he likes it. Some babies love them and others refuse. Let him decide. If you are worried about teeth get an orthodontic shaped dummy. If you are worried about weaning him off it when he is older, don't worry. My dd1 gave hers up when she was chewing through them. She was addicted to her dummy and I thought it would be endless nights of crying. She gave up her dummy and was allowed go pick out a new comforter toy. Hey, if it keeps him happy, you happy and everyone sleeps better than do it. Sleep deprivation is hard enough!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 had one and loved it. We only gave it to her to sleep, or to keep quiet in an emergency situation. We had a rough patch where she kept losing it at night, but was too young to find it again and we had to keep putting it in. However she was a great sleeper and settled more easily with it.

DD2 HATED it. She could spit it out and have it land at the far end of the bassinet at a week old. After a while we stopped trying to give it to her. She preferred sucking on her hands.

DS was a take it or leave it baby. He'd suck on it and play with it for a while, but it didn't help him sleep and he'd just lose interest.

I guess what I'm saying is you can introduce it and it can have benefits, but your child may not like it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We gave DD a dummy from 2 weeks old and I wondered why I didn't do it sooner!

It helped her settle so quickly and she used it up until just before age 2, and ONLY at bedtime. Worked a treat.

And it didn't interfere with her sleeping - she slept uninterrupted from 7pm-7am from 11 weeks of age.

I'll be bringing dummies to the hospital for when my next baby is due!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (25-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Forgot to add my DD is a thumb sucker and that's great but as she gets older I can't just slowly take it away so I would have preferred her to use a dummy. DS likes his dummy but when he doesn't have it he has started to try for his thumb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went a bit opposite to others and had a dummy but NEVER used it for sleep with our twins. We only gave it during really grizzly afternoon times etc. It worked really well for comfort but we never used it a lot and at 6 months just stopped altogether. They didn't really care for it by then.

I chose not to use it for sleep as I didn't want to be retrieving dummies in the night. I was tempted to use it sometimes when daytime naps weren't as good as I'd like but I never did. We have great sleepers, self-settlers, so it worked for us.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I've used one for both kids. DS1 had reflux and it really helped because he wanted to feed so much. It took a little persistence on my end to get him to take it then he gave it up around 1 yr old. Which was easy for me.

DS2 I gave one early. He only has it for sleeps and if we are out and I have exhausted all my other options. He doesn't look for it but if he sees one he will put it in his mouth (much like anything else he sees atm). He is 14 months and I don't know when I will wean him off it.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son who is now 2 1/2 has a dummy and he has it for sleep and when he is upset. No sleep issues with him at all. I did have to put it in sometimes if he dropped it at night but as soon as he could find it on his own he was fine. We just left a few in his bed.
    My twins both started with dummies in the neonatal unit after they were born. Now one loves hers and the other just won't take a dummy at all! She prefers to suck on her comfort toy.
    I know a little girl who sucked her thumb and is now 9 and still sucks it. Her two front teeth won't come through because of her constant sucking. This has reinforced my preference for dummies over thumbs.

*** "Daddy, toast, hat" ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's really how you feel about giving your DS a dummy and whether it will really work for what the nurse has said? Babies very often go through a comfort period at night time. All 4 of my daughters took a dummy but it didn't stop them from comfort sucking during witching hour!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (24-03-2014)