+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dummies- to use or not to use??

My CAFHS nurse (Sth Australia) suggested I give my DS (of 4 weeks old) on a dummy to settle him because sometimes- only sometimes, in the evening more so, I'm finding he comfort sucks on my breast.

I'm not sure how I feel about giving DS a dummy. Mothers who have given their baby a dummy, what are your experiences? Is it possible to give DS a dummy only when 'he needs it' at night? or is the baby going to look for the dummy during the day?... I'm hesitant on giving him a dummy because I don't want him to rely on the dummy and to have it in his mouth all the time.... is that possible??

advice on using a dummy??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Neither of my kids took one but I think they are brilliant and if they save your poor boobs from hours upon hours of comfort sucking it's a good thing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd only wants her dummy to sleep.. When I was bfing she would use my b00bs for comfort and she could suckle all day long! So I gave her a dummy and it gave me a break..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My baby had a dummy right from after she was born (medical reasons). She still breastfed. She loves to suck!
    She always has it for sleep. She has it when she is grumpy too! But otherwise she doesn't have it when playing or awake etc. Just sleep and grumpy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used a dummy very successfully with DS. It was only used as a help to settle before sleep time so it never really left the house. He happily gave it up about 2 ish. We were pretty clear on how we wanted in to be used and it really helped us. I'd use one again if I had a second

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I think the question is how do you feel about the comfort sucking?

I was militantly anti-dummy but I am a huge convert now! My son is 17 months and is by no means addicted to it. I have one in his crib and if he wants it he puts it in. It also has meant that if I'm not with him (or when he was younger, if I wasn't with him), it gave other people a means to comfort him. I think whatever comforts a baby that age is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a dummy with Ds1&2 and both just used it intermittently during the first 3-4 months then I just offered it less. Ds2 found his thumb (which is fine by me) and ds1 just liked his 'raggy' to twiddle with. Best of luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it really depends on the baby/child.

Personally I don't like the "look" of a kid with a dummy attached all day long but I appreciate that some kids just need the comfort.
    In the end we all do what's best for our kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    you could also offer a finger for your baby to suck on while cuddling until he finds his fist/thumb.

my baby would suck on our fingers for the first few weeks then once he found his fist he could comfort himself easily.

He is now 11mo and barely ever comfort suck but I don't think he ever was anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has her dummy whenever she likes. After suffering awful silent reflux it is a huge comfort to her. I figure when she gets a bit older we might start restricting it for bedtime only but at the moment my opinion is that she is only a baby, babies like to suck, it is one of their only ways of self comforting. I'm sure she won't be starting high school with it!