+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default CMPI 7 week old

Hi all, my 7 week old is suspected of having CMPI and has had his formula (Bellamys) which he loves changed to a prescription formula (pepti junior) which he hates. They changed it due to the severity of his rash even though we have not yet been to the immunologist. We have had to wean him onto it by gradually increasing the ratio of pepti junior in his regular formula and now after 48 hours he is on 100% pepti junior. I feel horrible giving it to him as he loved his old formula and he definitely doesn't eat this one with the same vigour. Has anyone else used this formula? Will it help CMPI? Will he still grow and thrive on it? Also we are having to use hydrocortisone 1% until we get rid of the trigger has anyone else had experience with this is one so young. It has definitely made him more comfortable but I worry if it is harming him.
    Apologies for all of the questions, first time mum so very new to this and very nervous.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS was switched to Neocate when he was around the same age as your little one. It took a little getting used to as it tasted and smelt horrible, but it really helped him keep weight on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    My DS was switched to Neocate when he was around the same age as your little one. It took a little getting used to as it tasted and smelt horrible, but it really helped him keep weight on.
    Thank you SalsaMama, glad to know babies thrive on these formulas. Neocate was the other option for us if pepti doesn't work. DH has been gaining weight so well and thriving on the Bellamys it is just this rash and the phlegm/congestion he gets that has made our GP think CMPI. I see a pediatrician tomorrow then hopefully an immunologist within the next week.

Last edited by Tommi; 23-03-2014 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi tommi, my bub was diagnosed cmpi at about 12 weeks. He had the most awfully severe rash on his cheeks which we found out was eczema caused by cmpi. He refused the prescription formula completely so we ended up putting him on soy which he thrived on! Please dont worry at all about using the 1% cream. Our paediatric allergist told me that it is absolutely fine to use and that the most important thing is that the outbreak is stopped to stop infection. We now use a prescribed cream which is 30% for an outbreak. It helps his itch immensely.

We are about to be allergy tested again in the next month. Most children grow out of cmpi.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd hated pepti junior!!!! It was a disaster. We also did neocate and elecare. She's drank neocatea bit better.
    This dietician suggested adding some vanilla essence to the formula. Not ideal but did help.
    I found my dd needed time to gradually wean into formula. We ended up on allerpro. It's for mild cmpi so might not be good for your little one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Hi tommi, my bub was diagnosed cmpi at about 12 weeks. He had the most awfully severe rash on his cheeks which we found out was eczema caused by cmpi. He refused the prescription formula completely so we ended up putting him on soy which he thrived on! Please dont worry at all about using the 1% cream. Our paediatric allergist told me that it is absolutely fine to use and that the most important thing is that the outbreak is stopped to stop infection. We now use a prescribed cream which is 30% for an outbreak. It helps his itch immensely.

We are about to be allergy tested again in the next month. Most children grow out of cmpi.
    Thank you so much I feel much better about the cream now especially as it really helps. Not gone entirely but he is definitely more comfortable. DSs rash began on his cheeks and within 12 hours he had it over his whole body. Was awful. He also has a phlegm sound when breathing sometimes. That's it though. He has been gaining weight, spits up very rarely in fact with pepti he spits up more but only a small amount when being burped and doesn't cry for long periods. He has been unsettled during the day but sleeps well at night. This is why I am unsure CMPI is a correct diagnosis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    My dd hated pepti junior!!!! It was a disaster. We also did neocate and elecare. She's drank neocatea bit better.
    This dietician suggested adding some vanilla essence to the formula. Not ideal but did help.
    I found my dd needed time to gradually wean into formula. We ended up on allerpro. It's for mild cmpi so might not be good for your little one.

Glad to hear your LO found one she can tolerate. My DS has taken the pepti now but good to know there are other options should he refuse it or not thrive. Pepti smells so awful I wouldn't want to drink it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Glad to hear your LO found one she can tolerate. My DS has taken the pepti now but good to know there are other options should he refuse it or not thrive. Pepti smells so awful I wouldn't want to drink it..

If pepti junior is working and decreasing symptoms then I would stick with it.
    It does smell awful. Even worse coming back up!!!!! Ewwwww.
    And yes. .. no reason why your bub won't thrive on it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds2 had CMPI & Soy intolerance.... Pepti Jnr didn't help as it just has the proteins broken down to its simplest form however Neocate worked for us.

Hang in there, if you think Pepti is bad Neocate is horrific LOL

We had many many many feeding issues & aversions. So rejoice in the fact your DS is tolerating it now

Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was CMPI as well as soy protien intolerant. She went on Neocate at about 12wks (previously breastfed with Karicare formula top-ups for her poor weight gain before we knew the reason). She absolutely thrived on Neocate! Totally different baby, she was happy and settled and gained weight well. She's now a very healthy 2.5yo and has grown out of her intolerances.

Good luck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Tommi  (23-03-2014)