+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dealing with DHs mental health

I should know how to do this. I've suffered from depression before and am a psych student (albeit first year), but I'm just struggling with dealing with DHs mental health issues.... He's sought help and is in the process of finding which meds are right for him but it's just so hard to deal in the meantime... I feel like I've lost him, yet he's right here. He doesn't touch me anymore (he's usually fairly hands on with physical affection). He's sleepy all the time (usually needs to be constantly doing something). We're under financial pressure too due to debt and our business so that's not helping anything. But our friends and family think life is peachy and that we have it all so I feel like I can't lean on anyone irl. I even had to scrape some coins from around the house the other day so we could afford milk. I just miss my husband we're best friends as well as partners and I just feel a bit lost while he's like this. Just needed to get it out somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to feed back that you are doing so well to hang in there and support your husband despite all of the pressures at the moment.

It's a hard time while a person is adjusting to medication as it can be associated with some of the changes you're describing. Sometimes it can take months to find the right medication and then establish therapeutic levels of treatment. In the meantime I have no advice but to hang in there and seek support for yourself if you need it. There are resources for carers and families of those struggling with mental health issues. A good starting point would be contacting your local mental health service or medicare local to enquire about carer support services and/or access to local support groups. There are also lots of online resources for families on sites such as beyond blue or black dog institute. It's great that you are hanging in there but don't forget your own emotional wellbeing in all this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's the same with my DP hang in there I'm sure our men will get better with time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I'm a little late to the party but I've just joined bubhub and was reading your thread..
    I'm in the same spot, hubby suffers depression and anxiety and I swear I wish I could just lift the darkness from his mind. I'm pretty head strong but I find the constant negativity draining. I feel guilty just typing this because I know he certainly doesn't like the way his mind works but today im really struggling. I just feel so alone. We have three amazing bubs,3,2 and 3 months old and they bring so much joy to our lives but instead of enjoying these precious years he seems to just want to hide away and play silly online games or drink and watch TV. I try and stay as positive as I can but I'm so tired and exhausted from the bubs that I sometimes don't have the energy. I then feel guilty and feel like I'm failing him.
    Im just venting here as I know there is no cure but I was just hoping for release.
    And breathe |-O

Sent from my D6503 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Supporting someone with depression/ anxiety is no walk in the park. I would suggest seeking some support for yourself as well. I know there are groups out there (both online and irl) that are specially designed for family and loved ones of people with mental illness that know exactly what you are going through..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    this might be worth a look as well xxx
    http://www.copmi.net.au/parents-and-...l-illness.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

understated  (15-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you,just having a look on their site now.
    :-)

Sent from my D6503 using The Bub Hub mobile app