+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I've never read a parenting book, probably never will. Reading that routine listed above it looks lovely but I would have totally failed if I tried to get DD to do that!
    What I'm saying OP is to look at your child and try to work on his/her individual needs.
    The book states that there is no
    One size fits all routine for a toddler. It's just an example and parents have to come up with something for their child (more or less what you're advocating . )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    No actually that's not what I was getting at, but you're right, I haven't read her book in depth, I barely even got halfway in before I had to stop because I was so disgusted at the way she expects people to treat their babies.
    Yes, parents need to use their commonsense but surely commonsense would suggest ignoring most if not all of her book? In which case it seems like it would be a bit of a waste of money to buy it in the first place.
    Good onya. You are recommending ignoring most of the book when you haven't even read it and obviously have no real understanding.

Yep, looks like you jumped on the judgmental SOS haters bandwagon.

Now if you want to rant further start your own thread.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (22-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ziara View Post
    Ok, I wasn't looking for a debate about whether her suggestions should or shouldn't be followed. However little or much you choose to take from any parenting book is up to you.

Personally, I found the routines suggested in SOS worked well for DS1 up to age 2 but I didn't follow all of her advice in the book. As for DS2, well, I was just wondering how much his current routine differs from the SOS recommended one as I don't have the book any more. I think it might be time to cut down his nap time (currently 2.5hrs) as he's been waking very early in the mornings lately, catnapping in the morning and then and having difficulty going down for his proper nap.
    I'm looking at cutting the day nap altogether for my toddler as he takes ages to go to sleep now at night. The routines and guides have been useful to date in helping to establish healthy sleep habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    DD has one nap that's usually 3 to 4 hours long, I know of kids her age who nap 1 hour at the longest. I suppose the avarage for a 20 month would be one nap 2 hours long, but all kids are different and if you're transitioning from two to one nap it can be difficult I know!
    Yup - I have a one-hour-nap kid over here. Three hours would be heaven!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My toddler has a 2 hour nap but it can't go later than 2pm or we have a very late bedtime. Usually it goes from 12-2pm