+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default SOS nap recommendations for 20mth old

If anyone has a copy of Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall, I'd love to know what the recommended nap time and duration for a 20mth old is.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Once a child reaches one it's harder to have a "one size fits all" routine. There are sample routines for toddlers, bit parents are encouraged to tweak them to suit their child.

A sample routine in the book:

7am. Milk/brekky
    10am. Morning tea
    12. Lunch
    12:44. Bed
    3pm: Get toddler up. Afternoon tea
    5pm. Dinner
    6pm. Bath
    6:30. Milk drink
    6:40-6:50. Active play outside of bedroom
    6:55pm. Brush teeth
    6:58pm. Say goodnight to toys
    7pm. Bed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

PrincessPud  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the recommendation is to just burn all of Tizzie Hall's books and ignore her ridiculous and sometimes dangerous advice altogether.

Or maybe that's just me?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-03-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (21-03-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2014),Starfish30  (22-03-2014),Tazzy  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I think the recommendation is to just burn all of Tizzie Hall's books and ignore her ridiculous and sometimes dangerous advice altogether.

Or maybe that's just me?
    I don't agree with Tizzie's methods, but the Op wasn't asking for your opinion about her parenting choices, she was looking for help.

I would normally just ignore a post like yours, but I think it was rude if you to post originally.

Edit for typo

sent from my magical device
    Last edited by angelini; 21-03-2014 at 12:50.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to angelini For This Useful Post:

Addicted to Love  (21-03-2014),atomicmama  (22-03-2014),Donnab739  (21-03-2014),FearlessLeader  (21-03-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-03-2014),Missy RJ  (21-03-2014),PeJu's Mum  (22-03-2014),Pen14  (22-03-2014),Starfish30  (22-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    I don't agree with Tizzie's methods, but the Op wasn't asking for your opinion about her parenting choices, she was looking for help.

I would normally just ignore a post like yours, but I think it was rude if you too post originally.

sent from my magical device
    Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

Nobody wants to see another argument about SOS whether you are for or against. Let's not go there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post

Or maybe that's just me?
    You've probably never even read her books in depth and like most people just cherry pick a few items to pick on.

As with any parenting book/philosophy there are good bits and bad bits and shock horror... Parents have to use their commonsense when assessing each part.

SOS worked fine for my oldest. Did I do everything in the book? No, about 90%. Did my bub cry extensively or go hungry? (Because let's face it that's what you're getting at..) no.

So if you want to be a negative nancy it might be best to create your own thread.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-03-2014),jellybub  (22-03-2014),PrincessPud  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've probably never even read her books in depth and like most people just cherry pick a few items to pick on.

As with any parenting book/philosophy there are good bits and bad bits and shock horror... Parents have to use their commonsense when assessing each part.

SOS worked fine for my oldest. Did I do everything in the book? No, about 90%. Did my bub cry extensively or go hungry? (Because let's face it that's what you're getting at..) no.

So if you want to be a negative nancy it might be best to create your own thread.
    No actually that's not what I was getting at, but you're right, I haven't read her book in depth, I barely even got halfway in before I had to stop because I was so disgusted at the way she expects people to treat their babies.
    Yes, parents need to use their commonsense but surely commonsense would suggest ignoring most if not all of her book? In which case it seems like it would be a bit of a waste of money to buy it in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never read a parenting book, probably never will. Reading that routine listed above it looks lovely but I would have totally failed if I tried to get DD to do that!
    What I'm saying OP is to look at your child and try to work on his/her individual needs.
    DD has one nap that's usually 3 to 4 hours long, I know of kids her age who nap 1 hour at the longest. I suppose the avarage for a 20 month would be one nap 2 hours long, but all kids are different and if you're transitioning from two to one nap it can be difficult I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ziara View Post
    If anyone has a copy of Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall, I'd love to know what the recommended nap time and duration for a 20mth old is.

Thanks!
    Hi Ziara, I have followed Tizzie's routine's since my DS was around 5 months old and they worked beautifully for him between then and about 12 months of age, after that (like VP has mentioned) sleep needs vary more so its harder to give specifics and I don't feel I need to reference her routines as much these days. My DS is 19 months old now and currently goes down for his nap between 11.30am/12noon, however I never let him sleep for longer than 2hrs as I find it then starts to impact on his nighttime sleep (he goes to bed at 7pm, wakes between 6.30am/7am), for him its more about the accumulative amount of day sleep as opposed to what time I put him down to sleep. If they have too much sleep during the day and then have disturbed sleep at night making them more tired the following day it creates a vicious cycle of sleep debt. Good luck and please ask if you have more questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I wasn't looking for a debate about whether her suggestions should or shouldn't be followed. However little or much you choose to take from any parenting book is up to you.

Personally, I found the routines suggested in SOS worked well for DS1 up to age 2 but I didn't follow all of her advice in the book. As for DS2, well, I was just wondering how much his current routine differs from the SOS recommended one as I don't have the book any more. I think it might be time to cut down his nap time (currently 2.5hrs) as he's been waking very early in the mornings lately, catnapping in the morning and then and having difficulty going down for his proper nap.